Menu

Bee Stings

DS2 just got stung by a bee on his ring finger of his right hand. This is my first experience with a bee sting. Obviously it is very swollen & sore. I have some home remedies to try as well as some benedryl, but I read that I should scrape the stinger out. I don't see a stinger. I didn't remove it......is it possible that it isn't there?

Also, what should I watch for that would be concerning - aside from anaphylaxis?

good! I'm glad I don't need to be worried that I can't find a stinger! As far as the tobacco - I've read/been told that several times today! Unfortunately, I don't have any.

If you have any smoking neighbors, go cadge a cigarette. It really, really helps.

The stinger doesn't always pull out of the bee - it's black and can be easily seen if it's there. Some sort of cream with a local anesthetic and antihistamine can help - with a bee sting there is the immediate "OUCH!", then sort of waves of stinging for some time afterwards. I find the worst is often the itching for a couple of days afterwards - keep up with the ointment to help with the itching.

I once got stung on my stomach while attempting to prove to my dh that a burglar crawling on his (or in this case her) belly across the living room floor could bypass the house alarm's motion detector.