Menu

Sonlight Reading

Has anyone just used SL's reading program? I'm looking at levels 2 and 3. Is it worth it? I want a formal reading program to encourage my very, very reluctant rising 3rd grader. GREAT decoder, but hates to read because it's hard for her. She needs help with confidence and fluency. Do you think this program would work with her? I was thinking at starting her at level 2 (below her decoding level) and then moving onto level 3.

Whaddya' think?

We've used SL reading levels 1-3 now with youngest ds (the olders have used the US history cores), as a supplemental reading program on top of phonics. We use McRuffy phonics for that. I do feel that if your child's phonics are solid, then the SL books are excellent for building fluency and sight reading. They are good stories, and progress nicely. DS really enjoyed the level 2 - more than I expected. The first half is the Beginner's Bible, which I though wouldn't go over great (perhaps I am responding to ds #1s rising cynicism here...). It was perfect. The stories were familiar, the vocabulary a mix of challenging and early reader, the sections short, and he had such pride in finishing the whole book! Went well in to chapter books from there. (such as Magic Treehouse).

I would caution that if your child is struggling despite good solid phonics, I would double check for warning signs of dyslexia. Not wanting to read because its too hard should set off some red lights, even if it ends up just being a developmental issue. There are tons of websites with signs of dyslexia....

If its just developmental, than SL is great, especially done at an "easy but good story level", for getting them reading!

Erin

We have the readers 2 with schedule, and started it just last week. We are 2 books in (skipped the Bible reading for now, we will go back to those). So far, I like the books, dd is finding them more interesting than the other "readers" we used, more like "real" books. I like the schedule and comprehension questions. It is a great supplement to our phonics program.

All my youngers have done phonics and then they go through SL Readers 2 Regular, Intermediate, and Advanced. That takes them through about 5th grade reading level according to their site. The nice thing about these is that you can buy the reading guide seperate from the core so you have the comprehension questions.:)

Yes, yes, yes! The SL sequence is excellent at building fluency and confidence. We are using the level 3 readers to build up to real children's novels and build endurance because we've been stuck on the easy, short chapter book level for a while and I'd like to see my oldest stretch into longer works