Menu

Jump in level between WWE 3 and 4?

kalanamak

No concrete answers for you since my rising 5th grader will be working through the second half of WWE 3 beginning this fall. Even then, I will modify it to fit his needs/abilities. (He does have some learning disabilities...)

However, I do have the WWE 4 workbook in hand if you want some specific examples posted.

The first excerpt is about 14 paragraphs from The Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen. The first dictation is: "The imposters requested him very courteously to be so good as to come nearer their looms, and then asked him whether the designs pleased him, and whether the colors were not very beautiful, while at the same time pointing to the empty frames."(typed on my phone because my Internet suddenly died. Lol)

how are we know which level to place our children in unless we buy all four books and peruse them or try them out....

Does anyone have a good way to judge which program to use for a child? Any kids of questions we should ask ourselves to determine this...I have two girls coming out of public schooling who are entering fourth grade. I have WWE 3 for one of them who seems to struggle with writing. However I was thinking about WW4 for the other one but now that there is a mention that there is a huge jump between levels i might as well place her in wwe3 too.....

What do you recommend for kids who have never done TWTM way of doing things and entering 4th grade. Should i just put them in wwe1 then.

how are we know which level to place our children in unless we buy all four books and peruse them or try them out....

The TM/Instruction book gives examples from all 4 WWE workbooks. If you choose not to use the workbooks, the TM will give you samples across all 4 WWE levels. I started my 3rd grader in WWE 2 when we got started from looking at the Instruction book. I've been using the workbooks because they're easier for me.

There also may be placement examples on the PeaceHill Press site...

What do you recommend for kids who have never done TWTM way of doing things and entering 4th grade. Should i just put them in wwe1 then.

My guess would be to get WWE2, use your own paper (which means you can resell or give away) for an older child's smaller writing. Go quickly if it is easy.

When I moved from WWE2 to 3, I just went slower. We'd spend one day reading the except, learning the words we didn't know, and me asking various questions. The next day I'd have kiddo read it aloud and answer the questions from the book, then I'd give hints for the narration. In about a month, he'd gotten up to WWE 3 speed.

Thanks, Texasmama! It is a jump up, but perhaps not as much. I'm plotting out a general month by month for 4th grade, and I'll give two months for the first month of WWE 4.

Viva la K-8 board!

You're welcome.:001_smile: That plan sounds good. I agree that the jump in skill level is not as severe as from WWE2 to WWE3. That one had me repeating WWE2 for half a year before moving on to level 3.

happycc - You can give your kids a placement test found on the Peace Hill Press site. With this program, it is better to start at a lower level and work faster if it is too simple than to get over a child's head. It is a program of incremental skill-building.