Menu

Can I pick and choose units from TOG?

I'm going to be posting two world history-related threads in a row -- sorry!

I'm interested in TOG for my youngest, who will be a junior in high school. TOG looks really fascinating and I'm considering it (although my other thread discusses another world history concern), but would it be strange to pick and choose units instead of doing the whole curriculum?

This is partly due to time -- we plan to spread world history out over her junior and senior years, but I see that the program is really designed for four years. So, we'd be doing it in half the time. Because our time is limited, I'm considering just picking certain units that I'd like to put emphasis on.

Also, she just spent this year heavily concentrating on American History, so we obviously wouldn't need to spend as much time on those units. And, we've done quite a bit of ancient history study over the years, so perhaps not as much time would be needed on that, either.

What do you think?

. . . would it be strange to pick and choose units instead of doing the whole curriculum?

This is partly due to time -- we plan to spread world history out over her junior and senior years, but I see that the program is really designed for four years. So, we'd be doing it in half the time. Because our time is limited, I'm considering just picking certain units that I'd like to put emphasis on.

This is absolutely do-able. I have a couple of friends who have combined two TOG years into one, and it has worked well for them. It just takes mom-planning time to rework the TOG schedule. :)

Brigid in NC - Would your friends be willing to spend a few minutes writing out how they condensed tog into 2 years, or if you have some ideas, could you share them? I understand "The Loom" has pared-down reading lists also- do these help? Thanks!

I'll be happy to ask them. ;)

Brigid - I'd love to see what your friend did to compare it to my plan.

Here's what I'm planning based on what I've heard on TOG loops about combining weeks and what my dc need.

First of all, the most obvious approach would be to do 2 weeks in just one, but many have said that it is a little easier to handle if 3 weeks are done over 2 instead. That math works out to 24 weeks to complete a year and 48 for 2 years worth of TOG. However, like the OP, there are some eras (units) where we have spent alot of time over the years, so we will either skip or review them and move on. As I've looked at the combining, sometimes it ends up 3/2 and other times it's better to do 2/1 based on the topics.

My dc are rising 8th and 9th and we'll be starting Y3 Unit 2 and complete through Y4U3. We'll do Y4U4 lightly to finish up 2011-2012. For 2012-2013 we'll start with Y1U1W5 (long story) and complete through Y2U2, then review Y2U3-4 lightly (we've spent a LONG time on this the last 4 years and live in the historic triangle of VA). I plan to call these years World History I and II for transcript purposes.

For the last two years we'll complete Y3 and Y4 as designed. Dd will still have another year, but since she plans on concentrating in the sciences, that time will be spent with an additional elective in that area. Because of the way we'll focus, those last two years will be US History and US Govt. and Economics.

Glad to know there are others who have done this or are planning to...makes me feel not so crazy :)