Menu

Favorite Canterbury Tales for younger children?

Nestof3

We tried the McCaughrean book when we did SOTW 2, but I really didn't like it. Many of the stories are/were over my kids' heads in terms of understanding what was really going on (adult themes, often husband/wife themes). One or two of ther stories were ok, but that's all, imo. I would recommend getting it from the library before deciding whether or not to buy it.

Basically, I came to the conclusion that for us, Canterbury Tales will be more appropriate when the kids are older. I just don't find a lot of the stories in it to be relevant for young children.

Thanks ladies. I considered the Marcia Williams book, but read this review:

BUT BE WARNED: Chaucer is known for bawdiness, and this book has not been cleaned-up and made as child-friendly as some might expect. There is A LOT of farting, naked bottoms, and bed-hopping. The farting isn't really a problem (the kids love it, as did Chaucer, obviously), but The Reeve's Tale is really not adaptable to children, and should probably have been left out. This aside, it's a terrific book.

Basically, I came to the conclusion that for us, Canterbury Tales will be more appropriate when the kids are older. I just don't find a lot of the stories in it to be relevant for young children.

I'm starting to agree with you here. I studied Chaucer's Cant. Tales for a semester in college, and I was wondering how one would adapt it for children.

I'm starting to agree with you here. I studied Chaucer's Cant. Tales for a semester in college, and I was wondering how one would adapt it for children.
I don't have a problem with doing the Williams or McCaughrean adaptations, but of course understand why some might. However, I wouldn't want a completely cleaned up version because it wouldn't be true to the spirit of the tales. :)

so can an ignorant person ask a question? :001_unsure: What is so great about Chaucer :confused: Why would an adult want to read it, let alone kids?? I get the point of reading most great lit - but everything I've ever heard about Cant. Tales is the bawdiness......is there great stories and themes in between all of that? I guess I don't get the greatness of this particular piece of literature and am up in the air about covering it this next year. anyone care to enlighten me?? :bigear:

We just finished McCaughrean's version and I questioned whether it was worth reading at this age. I skipped over some parts and one story. Even cleaned up there is so much emphasis on getting married and having another girlfriend or boyfriend, being in love, etc (as I describe it to my kids) and I wonder how this info affects the 7 yo mind. We just finished Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and there is a part where the king's wife is continually trying to seduce Gawain. I smooth it over but it does make me wonder if some of these classics are not appropriate for kids, even in the kids' versions.