Menu

Need advice on a LASER Printer/Copier/Scanner which will allow me to print for beans

mhg

Can you point me in the direction of a great LASER (not InkJet) Copier/Printer/Scanner which will allow me to copy/print for beans?

Mostly I'll print black and white but I need it to be able to print/copy color as well.

I have a new Dell V305 all-in-one INK JET printer/scanner/copier hooked to my Dell desktop and it handles the printing from my computer/Word/Excel/etc.

But, where it has disappointed me is in handling bulk copying. The ink is very expensive and I literally buy a new cartridge $ 25 ish at Office Depot

every 200 pages or so. That's like 10 - 12 cents a page. I'd like to spend like $ 0.02 a page (or less!).

I'm about to go to Office Depot for one this week and need some recommendations.

I need brand and specific model if you know these specifics.

Thanks!

I'm about to go to Office Depot for one this week and need some recommendations.

I need brand and specific model if you know these specifics.

Thanks!

Edited by mhg

We got this from Costco: http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=MFC9970CDW

The cartridges are a major ripoff! It operates on a counter so even if you use toner save and never print photographs, it will not allow you to use your C, M, Y toner past a certain page count. We tried purchasing off brand toners but the machine didn't recognize them and we had to send them back. Just today all three of my colors ran out even though they are still printing out fine. Since the counter says they toner is gone, the machine won't run color print until I replace all three. Now tell me, what are the chances that all three colors will run out exactly at the same time?

My husband ordered a contraption that is supposed to trick the counter. He said all of today's printers seem to do this (as a way to generate money since people have to constantly purchase more toner cartridges). He said that Brother toner cartridges are using a mechanical counter. So *if* this little contraption works (which just arrived in today's mail) - then this would be a pretty good situation.

If it doesn't work we are going to be shelling a lot of money out on toner. Oy!

There are ways to override your toner alerts - I did this with my Brother MFC-9320cw (which I LOVE) and it worked like a champ:

1. With power on, open the toner access main door (You will get a "door open" message in the LCD.)

2. Hit the "Clear/Back" button and... ta-dah!!! you go right to the "Toner Reset Menu" (cue Vienna Boy's choir sounds here).

3. Using the up ^ Down > "Search" arrow buttons, you can then scroll through reset options for each of the printer's [4] toner cartridges!

Code: B. = black; C. = cyan; M. = magenta and Y. = yellow

4. For each for these cartridges is the option to reset for low yield = S (small?) or High Yield = H

5. Using the number keypad, select option #1 (to reset each to the size you have installed.

6. Hit the "Clear/Back" button to get out of the menu, close door ad the problem is FINALLY solved.

you can also google "toner override" to find other solutions. I also found this tip on a forum, but I haven't personally tried it.

I'm looking for the same thing. What I've found, is when you add in the copier to the printer, the price jumps. My plan is to buy a cheaper one without the copier and just use the copier on my inkjet as needed. I can copy and print to a file on a USB on my inkjet then actually print it with the laser. (I'm also keeping the inkjet because it prints awesome photos.)

I'm looking at this one and this one. They are both on sale at OfficeMax.

There are ways to override your toner alerts - I did this with my Brother MFC-9320cw (which I LOVE) and it worked like a champ:

1. With power on, open the toner access main door (You will get a "door open" message in the LCD.)

2. Hit the "Clear/Back" button and... ta-dah!!! you go right to the "Toner Reset Menu" (cue Vienna Boy's choir sounds here).

3. Using the up ^ Down > "Search" arrow buttons, you can then scroll through reset options for each of the printer's [4] toner cartridges!

Code: B. = black; C. = cyan; M. = magenta and Y. = yellow

4. For each for these cartridges is the option to reset for low yield = S (small?) or High Yield = H

5. Using the number keypad, select option #1 (to reset each to the size you have installed.

6. Hit the "Clear/Back" button to get out of the menu, close door ad the problem is FINALLY solved.

you can also google "toner override" to find other solutions. I also found this tip on a forum, but I haven't personally tried it.

Yes I did find this but this model doesn't work that way or even have those buttons! After looking for programming changes, we found this little gear option. I still need to change it but am afraid. I'm going to wait til DH can do it :)