Menu

do I need Drawing With Children?

I had it and sold it. It was way too much text for me to wade through to get to the doing. You might be able to find it at your library to see if you'd like it. I bought it because it is recommended by Classical Conversations which we are part of, but it just sat on my shelf. It gets rave reviews and is recommended in TWTM but it was not for me. I just got a copy of How to Teach Art to Children (Evan Moor) and I love it, but it doesn't just focus on drawing.

I have the book and love the idea of it, but have tried it three times unsuccessfully. I found a few different lesson plans too. I wish there would be an easy-to-implement version of the book, like a lesson workbook guide or something.

I don't think you need this book if you're familiar with the basics of drawing yourself. I read it thoroughly twice, but didn't feel that I got much out of it.

I take my daughter to places where we can draw together, and point things out to her gradually over time.

Thanks for all the replies.:)

So, I went to art college myself. I shouldn't need this, right? The problem I have is that I expect too much from my kids. But, I just don't do well with a curriculum that isn't "do this, then do this, and this", so it sounds like this would be a poor fit for me. My kids hated Artistic Pursuits and I have nothing left in the budget for Atelier:crying:

We also have Drawing with Children and I kinda don't like it. :blushing: I don't want to be negative, but it was just too much. My kids are drawing some stuff out of the book, but I think we might go with a more Art History approach to art. Have you seen Meet the Masters? I plan to try that at some point this school year.

I am going to look at those lesson plans for DWC. Maybe I'll give it a second chance.