Menu

Can you buy small amounts of grass seed?

We need different kinds of grass seed for a science experiment. Just looking online, it looks like they are all at least 5lb.+ packages that are all over $25. Can you buy it in small vegetable seed-like packages? (Is that a dumb question? :blushing:)

We needed some when we were doing a Nile River diorama and I found a thing called "Cat grass"in the pet department at Walmart. It worked very well for our project and grew very quickly.

:iagree: Yes, cat grass does grow very fast.

The hardware store by us sells it in bulk. I'm sure you could just get a half a pound or whatever. When we did a Nile River project, I just bought a few pounds and saved the rest to fill in any brown patches in my yard.

We needed some when we were doing a Nile River diorama and I found a thing called "Cat grass"in the pet department at Walmart. It worked very well for our project and grew very quickly.

Thanks, Kathleen. Amy's going to send me a little bit and maybe I'll pick up some of this, too! (And this is good to know for when we do our Nile project later on down the road!)

At our local hardware store, you can buy it by weight. Just scoop what you want into a brown paper bag. It's a basic mom and pop, small town hardware store.

The smallest amount you can buy at ours is 5lb. :glare: I asked the gal what the cheapest one she had was, and she was like, "well, you don't want to go too cheap, you're putting this on your lawn!" and I told her "nope! it's for a school project!"