Menu

Ancient/US History for high school?

I'm working on our history plan for high school. We don't follow chronological history, and my latest plan was Ancients in 9th, US/Modern in 10th.

However, I keep looking at the GB I want to cover for Ancients and I think my son will be overwhelmed. I've already condensed the list several times. He's a slow reader (we would do most as read-alouds or on audio) and the year looks heavy. History is not his passion, but I want to give Ancients its due course.

Our American history plan is more narrative with traditional lit added. We plan on doing Government as a separate course.

So my latest great idea :tongue_smilie: is:

9th: Ancient Greek (heavy reading)

First section of US History (lighter reading)

10th: Ancient Roman (heavy reading)

US History (lighter reading)

That way the heavier reading is spread out in different years. Opinions? Ideas?

You could do it that way and it should work, but what about waiting until 11th or 12th grade to do Ancients/Medieval? We cover US/Modern history in 9th and 10th for that reason. There is a huge difference in ability and maturity in a 9th grader and 11th grader (especially boys).

You could do it that way and it should work, but what about waiting until 11th or 12th grade to do Ancients/Medieval? We cover US/Modern history in 9th and 10th for that reason. There is a huge difference in ability and maturity in a 9th grader and 11th grader (especially boys).

I thought of that, but I want to start with Ancient in 9th. Even though he is a slow reading he has wonderful comprehension, he's my deep thinker. He's already developing an interest in philosophy. I want to get the foundation of Greeks done in 9th so we have time to explore deeper philosophical topics in 11th and 12th.

We're planning on doing Ancients and US History concurrently this year for 9th grade.

ETA: We're using Kolbe, which for the first semester he's only scheduled to read Herodotus and Homer.

I'll have to look at Kolbe's schedule, thanks.

It sounds like you look at the reading in Ancients as very heavy and the reading in Moderns as very lightweight. (Unless you are just choosing works at those particular levels?)

Did you read the recent thread about whether Ancient literature is more or less difficult? I think most weighed in on the "less difficult" end.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282131

Just wanted to be sure you caught that thread.

Julie

It sounds like you look at the reading in Ancients as very heavy and the reading in Moderns as very lightweight. (Unless you are just choosing works at those particular levels?)

Did you read the recent thread about whether Ancient literature is more or less difficult? I think most weighed in on the "less difficult" end.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282131

Just wanted to be sure you caught that thread.

Julie

Yes, I read through that, thank you. I'm purposely planning a little lighter on the lit for US history. Lighter in terms of page numbers and tone, we're throwing in a lot of sci-fi for modern. I also seeing spending more time in analysis in Ancient lit/history. We'll probably more simple discussion with US/Moderns.

Edited by elegantlion

9th: Ancient Greek (heavy reading)

First section of US History (lighter reading)

10th: Ancient Roman (heavy reading)

US History (lighter reading)

That way the heavier reading is spread out in different years. Opinions? Ideas?

I think it's a great idea. Also, depending on which books you want to cover for American (and whether you need it to be a whole credit, half credit, or just part of "English 9"), one option you might consider would be "American Literature Through Film." While DS will happily devour Homer and Herodotus, I know he'd consider slogging through books like The Scarlett Letter and Grapes of Wrath as nothing short of torture (I did — and literature was my favorite subject!). I think approaching American literature through film will provide a cultural-literacy-level familiarity with the works, and allow plenty of analysis, without torturing him unnecessarily. We'll be spending plenty of time on other, more appealing (to us) literature.

Anyway, if you're interested in the Lit-Thru-Film idea, I'm planning to put together a list of films and associated resources at some point. I forget what grade your DS is in — is this for the coming year or the one after?

Jackie

I think it's a great idea. Also, depending on which books you want to cover for American (and whether you need it to be a whole credit, half credit, or just part of "English 9"), one option you might consider would be "American Literature Through Film." While DS will happily devour Homer and Herodotus, I know he'd consider slogging through books like The Scarlett Letter and Grapes of Wrath as nothing short of torture (I did — and literature was my favorite subject!). I think approaching American literature through film will provide a cultural-literacy-level familiarity with the works, and allow plenty of analysis, without torturing him unnecessarily. We'll be spending plenty of time on other, more appealing (to us) literature.

Anyway, if you're interested in the Lit-Thru-Film idea, I'm planning to put together a list of films and associated resources at some point. I forget what grade your DS is in — is this for the coming year or the one after?

Jackie

I'm always interested in your plans, Jackie! This would be for the 2012-2013 year, 9th or 10th grade. I think film would be a great medium to handle some of Am Lit.

I've considered using the Young Indiana Jones series for early 20th century. I'm only at the beginning planning phases, so I'll be excited to see what what you're planning.

I'm always interested in your plans, Jackie! This would be for the 2012-2013 year, 9th or 10th grade. I think film would be a great medium to handle some of Am Lit.

Perfect — I may be doing it the same year. Since you're doing Greek lit and American at the same time, you could probably arrange for some interesting pairings, e.g. Eugene O'Neill's Mourning Becomes Electra is based on Aeschylus's Oresteia.

Jackie

Perfect — I may be doing it the same year. Since you're doing Greek lit and American at the same time, you could probably arrange for some interesting pairings, e.g. Eugene O'Neill's Mourning Becomes Electra is based on Aeschylus's Oresteia.

Jackie

Jotting that one down, thanks.