Menu

Santa Barbara

Can we talk about Santa Barbara and surrounding communities? Does anyone live in SB or a surrounding community?

My dearest friend is looking at taking a job in SB but she is a single mama with a teenage dd. She is concerned that she can't afford to actually live in SoCal.

So, what can you tell me/us? How much is a gallon of 2% milk? A gallon of regular unleaded gas? A dozen eggs? A two bedroom apartment?

What areas would you consider living if you worked in SB but couldn't afford to live *in* SB? (IOW, you would need to commute. So where would you want to be for that option?)

Any help or thoughts or opinions you can lend would be greatly appreciated! (We are taking a brief trip down there next week for about 48 hours to scout things out, but any up front, first hand knowledge we can glean ahead of time would be so helpful!)

I use to live in Santa Barbara, and it is expensive. Rent for a 2 bedroom will probably start at $1800.00 (maybe a little cheaper if you get lucky). This is the lowest price, many 2 bedrooms will be at least $2000.00. Some people look in Goleta for cheaper places, but it can also be expensive because it is closer to UCSB.

It gets quite expensive there. If she doesn't mind a commute, she might look north to the cheaper areas near Santa Maria.That's where the ordinary folks live-- I grew up in SM.

I'm about 2 hours away from santa maria, but am opening up a children's consignment sale event there, so if she had kids, that could help her save money ;) lol. Seriously though, santa barbara is expensive, but beautiful, so just like the rest of life...it's a trade off.

We live in Lompoc, CA---about 45 min. North of SB. Lompoc is probably her cheapest option. Anything farther south (from SB) is not going to be any cheaper. Buellton/Solvang/Santa Ynez is all between SB and Lompoc, and are still pretty pricy.

There is nothing special about Lompoc, but it is a decent town. The Air Force Base is right here (why we are here) and that helps to bring in some businesses, but there is not much else going on.

It looks like rent for a two bedroom is about $800-$1100. Milk is about $3.50, Gas $3.75, Eggs $1.79.

If she would like more info on Lompoc and the surrounding areas...let me know.

Tammie

I went to UCSB and graduated in the mid-90s. I miss some parts of it quite a lot. The Arlington theater and the Civic Light Opera were really neat. However, my mortgage is significantly cheaper now (and was even at 7%) than rent was in the 90s in SB. I'd think the job would need to be really good or there'd need to be other reasons to live in the area rather than considering other parts of the country.

Public transportation was very good. I lived in Goleta just past Isla Vista for one summer and did temp secretarial work and managed just with the bus - even getting to Montecito. But it did take a lot of time. The bike paths in the area are wonderful. I miss them tremendously.

If you live near a bus route, it is possible to get by without a car. Check the bus schedules to see how that could work.

Goleta is pricey but okay. Avoid Isla Vista like the plague. It's okay if you're a student, but I always felt sorry for the people with families who lived there. It's the major party area and definitely not a good place to be long term.

Thank you!

We were thinking to drive through Goleta. I hadn't heard about Lompoc. We will check that out.

North instead of south? Good to know!

I am not sure that Goleta will be a lot cheaper than SB, it is basically a suburb on the North side of SB.