Menu

Homeschool convention questions...

I'm going to the Orlando one the end of this week but most of these are probably "general" convention questions.

-if a workshop is sponsored by a curriculum you don't or won't be using - does is still make the most sense to attend it? (esp if there are others during that time you'd also like to see)

-don't these lectures sound similar? which should I attend? This upcoming year I'll have a 3rd grader, a 1st grader, and a K'er.

"It's Onomatopoeia, Mom!": Using Children's Stories to Teach Literary Devices -

Adam Andrews

Parents often avoid the subject of literature because of the intimidating vocabulary associated with literary analysis. But you don't need a literature degree to understand the vocabulary. Adam will take you on a guided tour of literary devices.

Exhibit: The Center for Literary Education

OR

Teaching the Classics from Seuss to Socrates: Literary Analysis for Everyone - Adam Andrews

This inspiring lecture will demonstrate that everything you need to know about understanding and teaching literature is present in your second-grader's bedtime story. You'll never put the kids to bed the same way again!

Exhibit: The Center for Literary Education

-the vendor stations will have brochures for their curriculum right? and examples of it to look thru?

can you also purchase it or order it right there?

-how do you carry all these catalogs and handouts and stuff?

what do you use?

-any other useful tips?

thanks!

:thumbup:

Neither of those appeals to *me* at all.

For the most part, Christian Home Educators Association of California (CHEA) has not had authors doing workshops (this may have changed in recent years). Workshops were done by experienced homeschoolers, and they were amazing. We could attend any workshop knowing that the information was not slanted toward any particular publisher or product.

I prefer those kinds of workshops over those done by publishers or authors or companies.

Other hints? Wear good, comfortable shoes.

Don't buy anything until the very end, unless you are *POSITIVE* it is exactly what you have always wanted.

Many conventions give out plastic bags which are already filled with brochures and whatnot. You can use one of those to carry everything else during the day.

In most cases, you will be able to make your purchases right there. Most vendors will have all of their products at their booths so you can walk out with what you want instead of having to order.

The difference will be in those that each vendor will give you their spin on their curriculum. I think hearing ONE, you can then go look at the others "stuff" and get a feel for it.

Comfy shoes is a good one - it's a HIKE to the vendor hall from the bus drop off if you aren't staying there. Then you have the huge hall!

Take a tote bag - or one of those rolling totes they sell at Staples and the like. That fold up "flat" - they will be selling them too (they have been the last 2 years). Going rate there i think was $25 - they had the inserts that hold water bottles too.

If you didn't get the FPEA "magazine" has the convention info on it, there was a HUGE change in the food this year. Take yourself something to drink..... i'm stopping at Publix and getting a sandwich to eat for lunch/dinner. I'm not happy at all with their food change.

Notebook/pencil....

Labels to stick on all the stuff to sign up for worked too!

Most people have the stuff for you to "cash & carry" - but if they run out, they will ship normally without charging you. I knew i needed to buy a CA State History packet from a lady and emailed her becuase i knew that she probably wouldn't bring it to FL :D (now, don't anyone go up and ask for MY CA State History stuff :P)

Back to the food -

The "food" info from the website: http://www.fpea.com/Convention/food_court.pdf

And the page in the book - ugh, i'm not sure i should post the scan. They normally have it online and didn't this year...... i'll post it - but Mod's if the link needs to be removed feel free to edit it out, or i will when i get back from the post office.

You cant' totally read it - but you can get the gist i think!

fpea%20food.jpg

I never go to the lectures. I know that they are the big "draw" and all, but I guess I am too much of a HS sheepdog (and too little of a sheep) to sit there in rapt attention as marketing is oozed out over the crowd to be absorbed by... what? Osmosis?

Ok, that was mean. Seriously, though. I go to Flower and Garden shows. I am a sheep there. I get the glassy-eyed "I believe" look over fertilizer and bulbs - I recognize it.

The best way that I have found to "do" a HS convention is to take a good, hard look at the list of vendors before I even go. I print out the list and look them up on the internet. Some of the vendors I can immediately discount simply because they are offering something I don't need (I don't need any colleges right now). Others, because I have firm disagreements with philosophy (I have limited time in a day, I'm not going to spend it parsing). With the remaining list (including vendors that I may have no clue to what they are selling), I head to the convention.

The only exception I would hold to this process would be if a convention were offering one of those "how to set up/document your homeschool" type seminars and you are a person who is searching for a system such as that. Even then, the people offering those systems usually turn right around and sell the system along with a mini-demo the next day, so...

My biggest piece of advice would be to not confine yourself to the "names" you always hear on HS boards. The best stuff I've ever found at conventions has been from people who were just starting out who were completely unknown on the "forums". The big "names", the ones who always give the seminars - they will always give mini demos at their booths. They know that only a limited number of people make it to the seminars.

As was already said, a rolling cart is a must (I use a rolling case like pharmaceutical reps do). If it is a Fri-Sat-Sun thing, Saturday is usually mobbed. MOBBED. To the point of not being able to move.

If the convention you're going to is anything like the ones I've attended, it's much cheaper to go to just the vendors than the whole shebang.

Have a good time and try not to get caught up in curricula hysteria; it's easy to just keep buying...

asta

I bought his Teaching Literary Analysis DVD last year and found it to be very helpful. Yes, both of these workshops sound like they would cover the same info - I'd pick one.

I like workshops about specific curricula sometimes if I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase. I can usually tell from the lecture if it will be something I can use or not.

Andrew Pudewa's lecture on music and the brain (totally not a commercial for his stuff at all) was the most interesting one I heard at last year's HEAV convention. Absolutely fascinating and he is a lively, humorous, adroit speaker.

After that, I was blessed most by the workshops I attended that were geared to bolster me and encourage me as a homeschool mom. I especially liked Anne Miller's (president of HEAV) about teaching boys.

And I also suggest wearing comfy shoes. Lots of ladies brought those "milk crates on wheels" thingys to drag their stuff around. That seemed to have its advantages - easy to carry stuff - and disadvantages - clumsy and awkward to maneuver in and out of the workshop space and through very crowded halls and the vendor area.

HTH,

If the convention you're going to is anything like the ones I've attended, it's much cheaper to go to just the vendors than the whole shebang.

Actually, for the FPEA one - that is a beef of a lot of people, it's the same price. No Vendor Hall only pricing.

They do have a broad selection of speakers - and some i'd go to even if you didn't necessarily agree with because they are hysterical! Makes you feel normal :D

Andrew Pudewa's lecture on music and the brain (totally not a commercial for his stuff at all) was the most interesting one I heard at last year's HEAV convention. Absolutely fascinating and he is a lively, humorous, adroit speaker.

A friend echo's this - she really really enjoyed the Music Talk. He doesn't seem to be giving it this year at FPEA. But he is a great speaker!!

And I also suggest wearing comfy shoes. Lots of ladies brought those "milk crates on wheels" thingys to drag their stuff around. That seemed to have its advantages - easy to carry stuff - and disadvantages - clumsy and awkward to maneuver in and out of the workshop space and through very crowded halls and the vendor area.

Overall at FPEA - they do a good job keeping the aisles a decent size. Now, in some of the BOOTHS that is a different story. I'd often leave my tote with a friend while i "went in". But they take over the entire convention area of a hotel and do a good job with space (let's talk about Orange County and how non-handicap friendly that hotel is.... :glare: )

But if you aren't staying at the hotel, you will be taking a bus to get to the hotel. Parking is the multi-story structure at the Convention Center. They use Mear's busses (like, Magical Express or Disney Cruise Line), so you either need to be able to carry everything on your lap, OR it will go under the bus, and you want it "contained".

So that is a few more things i thought of while i was out!

Is it Thursday yet???????????? (:lol: Thursday is my DH's 40th birthday - why isn't HE as anxious for it to arrive?????)

I would DEFINITELY go to the Adam Andrews talks, especially if my dd were younger. I don't think the two are going to be all that similar. If I am correct (and you can certainly email him to find out for sure - he is very responsive), the first talk will be about actual literary devices, and the second talk will be about how to discuss literature with your kids - plot, character, setting, the climax of the story.

I wouldn't go to talks by publishers that I didn't have an interest in. Especially if there is something else you'd rather hear? What would be the point, kwim?

I *would* go to talks by publishers that I *am* interested in. They can better articulate the underlying philosophy of their program and how to best use it. I have never been to a talk by an experienced homeschooler that benefited me much, except when they talked about things like scheduling your day, running the household, discipline (mine, not the kids :)), etc. I was pleasantly surprised by some things I learned from a BJU rep - and I learned how his product compared to other publishers that people who have actually used these products aren't even aware of. I learned more from Jessica Hulcy about unit studies than I learned from a mom who talked about unit studies. I learned more from Steve Demme than I learned from a talk about how to use math manipulatives like cuisinaire rods. I learned more from Rob Shearer than I learned from a mom who gave a talk on the chronological study of history. I learned more from a few hours of SWB than I've learned from every mom's talk about classical education that I've ever attended all together. So, if it was something I was really interested in, I'd go hear the author/publisher before I'd go hear someone who was going to talk about the topic in general. Do not miss SWB is she is there. And get there early because the seats go fast. I feel the same about Rob Shearer, but that's obviously my personal preference. Many publishers *are* homeschoolers, and they get so much feedback everywhere they go... they are usually a wealth of information, even when they are talking about things that don't pertain to their products (many offer other tlaks... Demme, Pudewa, etc.).

I would go to a mom's talk if she were speaking to an issue that actually applied to me... things like needed encouragement, how to homeschool with little ones under foot, how to deal with learning difficulties, etc. I would not to go a mom's talk about how to use a curriculum. I *might* go to something like a Cathy Duffy talk on how to *choose* a curriculum (learning styles), but even these sort of talks are usually presented by someone trying to sell you on the idea that you really do need their product to navigate homeschooling successfully... (a book, a guide).

Yes, you get to see samples of everything at the booths. Sometimes you buy on site, sometimes you order and they ship. Don't buy anything that isn't already on your list unless you sleep on it first.

Every convention I've been to has a book check area, where you can drop off your items as they accumulate and pick them up at the end of the day. Sometimes there's a fee, sometimes it's free. Take advantage of it. It's worth it! I would do that before I'd do something on wheels because I like to be flexibile and mobile! LOL

Good luck and have fun!

...for the advice!

You all shared some good ideas and I'll definitely think about them...

I've been thinking about going Thurs night just to go thru the vendor hall without a huge crowd. Since I live in Orlando maybe that's not a bad idea.

Might bring something to eat too!

I will fine tune my list of lectures to see but you gave me some good pointers.

I do have a list made of what curriculum I do exactly need - I am hoping they have it there somewhere so that I *can* look at it. I didn't see the vendors on the list for the curriculum I am interested in buying - but that doesn't mean it won't be there that I could at least still look at it right?

Does anyone know if Orlando's convention has a "book check area"?

ty:001_smile:

Hi!

I'm going, too!

Bring a jacket as some of the rooms can get chilly.

I have never seen a "book check area". With over 15,000 people attending, it would probably be a zoo if they had one. (My local homeschool group is having a hospitality room with a book check, free lunch and snacks...sorry, it's only for its members.)

I have used carts in the past. The Rosen Creek has bigger aisles than the previous hotel and it wasn't hard to manuever. It's nice to keep a snack or my jacket in it.

I highlight the vendors on the map that I want to see and go to their booths. Rainbow Resources is always crowded.

I've heard Andrew Pudewa before and he's always very interesting and entertaining. I have watched Andrew Adams also and think that he would great also. I also like to throw in some "motivational" type speakers...encouragement for me!

Last year I was lucky enough to catch all of SWB's talks...and even had her sign my "post-it noted" Well Trained Mind book.

I think you'll have fun. If you get tired, it's fun to just sit and watch people. I always end up seeing someone I know...even with the huge crowds.

Last year they were building a Publix across the street from the resort. You could get a sub or something from the deli to bring with you.

Have a great time. We're done with school and I'm ready to go!!!

Yup, echoing Amy - never have seen a book check. That would be nice! LOL!!

Thanks for the reminder they were building the Publix - although coming from the Turnpike/I-4 it would be easier to grab one up here in the morning. Don't want to drive past the parking and then back..... last month all the Aquatica employees were using that lot, i hope they fixed that issue for this weekend (ok, we had HUGE issues with the parking last year and the lack of handicap accessibility - FPEA assured me a month before that EVERY BUS was accessible - NOT :glare:).

Gee Amy - maybe i should join your group for lunch! LOL!!!

I"m excited - i feel like i should have a ticker! :D

(obviously, this will be the shot in the arm i need - it's already doing it and i'm not there!)

Here's another suggestion - I went to the website to see which conferences were happening when, and I noticed that Barnier is doing "Don't miss the gift of this child" first hour Saturday morning. There was a conversation on this board recently where this particular workshop was mentioned, and several people joined in saying that it was their all time favorite workshop EVER... someone even said something about it being life changing. If I were attending FPEA, I'd check out that workshop.

It was a good idea to bring a light sweater or jacket if you chill easily... I don't, but my feet get cold and so I've learned to wear very comfortable, full coverage shoes - no open toes (I usually wear an athletic shoe of some sort... you really don't care much about style by the end of the day! LOL).

I'm sorry to hear you won't have a book check! What a bummer! Even the Arlington book fair, one of the largest conventions with thousands in attendance, offers not only a check room but CURB SIDE SERVICE - go get your car, pull it up, and they'll bring your purchases to you! What a deal! :).

If you are planning your days and are having trouble deciding which workshops to go to, start a new thread asking which ones are best and list your options... you'll get lots of opinions and suggestions! I'd go to Adam Andrews first one and if you like them then go to the second. If not, then you can choose something else. Of course, it's up against Barnier's learning style workshop but that's about the only real competitor imho... most conventions allow you to buy tapes of workshop, so keep that in mind.

Have fun!!

Here's another suggestion - I went to the website to see which conferences were happening when, and I noticed that Barnier is doing "Don't miss the gift of this child" first hour Saturday morning. There was a conversation on this board recently where this particular workshop was mentioned, and several people joined in saying that it was their all time favorite workshop EVER... someone even said something about it being life changing. If I were attending FPEA, I'd check out that workshop.

i want to do this - but the timing could stink. I've never made it there early enough for the starting ones....

I'm sorry to hear you won't have a book check! What a bummer! Even the Arlington book fair, one of the largest conventions with thousands in attendance, offers not only a check room but CURB SIDE SERVICE - go get your car, pull it up, and they'll bring your purchases to you! What a deal! :).

Dang. Such service!

Heck, we have to park 2 miles away and get bussed to the hotel unless you are staying at the hotel.

UGH.