Menu

VBS and preaching salvation cc

As a RC, I was taught to do a nightly examination of conscience.

i was trying to find a good link w/an explanation of this and this one came up:

nightly examination of conscience

Yes, that is encouraged and a good thing. But it doesn't follow that you lose salvation because of one unconfessed venial sin. That could go into a host of other discussions that would be a whole different thread though.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southern Baptist, Weslyn, non-denominational, Assemblies of God, and The Christian denomination. Just to name a few that i have been to and preach this.

Also, I was not tying to be judgmental but was saying that once Jesus enters our heart we have a desire to do what is right in His eyes, it doesn't always happen. But, that Holy Spirit conscience that wasn't there before convicts us of things now that we did in the past that grieved the Lord's heart and that may not have happened prior to salvation. I do believe that we want to do the right thing because we love the Lord but our sin nature gets in the way and we do the opposite.

I'm confused about SB? That was not my experience at all attending SB a church. It was much more of what you describe for yourself.

I did not take it as a judgment at all. I rarely do w/ anything online. I can relate to the experience of what you are talking about. I had an experience like that when I was in my early 20's. Evangelicals would pinpoint that as the time I was 'saved.' However, I believe that John 3 speaks about baptism as a sacrament, etc.... don't want to go on and on, so for me that was a continuation of the process of my salvation.

Eventually we just have to agree to disagree, because the conversation would last forever otherwise:)

I'm confused about SB? That was not my experience at all attending SB a church. It was much more of what you describe for yourself.

I did not take it as a judgment at all. I rarely do w/ anything online. I can relate to the experience of what you are talking about. I had an experience like that when I was in my early 20's. Evangelicals would pinpoint that as the time I was 'saved.' However, I believe that John 3 speaks about baptism as a sacrament, etc.... don't want to go on and on, so for me that was a continuation of the process of my salvation.

Eventually we just have to agree to disagree, because the conversation would last forever otherwise:)

Well, then we can agree on something :).....we agree to disagree.

I don't think all SB churches are that way but there is one like that here where we live. They go so far as to make people who have sinned to confess their sins (Big sins) in front of the congregation on Sunday evenings and ask for forgiveness. I don't know how "they" determine what sins that need to be confessed publicly but when we went to visit one Sunday nite and this was going on we left. A friend of mine, whose mom goes to this church, says they still practice that. ACKK!!!

[/b]

Well, then we can agree on something :).....we agree to disagree. YES.:grouphug:

I don't think all SB churches are that way but there is one like that here where we live. They go so far as to make people who have sinned to confess their sins (Big sins) in front of the congregation on Sunday evenings and ask for forgiveness. I don't know how "they" determine what sins that need to be confessed publicly but when we went to visit one Sunday nite and this was going on we left. A friend of mine, whose mom goes to this church, says they still practice that. ACKK!!!

Wow that sounds like a horrible interpretation of James 5:16. I can't imagine the humiliation involved there.

[/b]

This happened in one of the churches that my Dad's family attended. A teenaged girl became pregnant and had an abortion. She wasn't allowed back to church until she was willing to publicly confess her sins - premarital sex and murdering her baby. I wonder if her boyfriend attended the same church and had to make a similar confession.

My mom told me the story in a horrified voice, a sort of "Can you believe they made her do that??" - I was a young teen at the time (so in the 1980s?).

I was saved, I'm being saved, I will be saved. This idea of "once for all" referring to a moment in time "salvation" is very new in the history of the church. Salvation (and we're probably defining terms differently; for us, Orthodox, it means communion with Christ) is a lifelong process. "Ye who endure to the end will be saved." It's not the end yet. ;) I have to keep enduring.

Which is interesting, because I sort of agree with this... and I believe that it's a different angle than what Protestants usually think. I truly believe that if you are saved, you are saved... as far as going to heaven. BUT, i believe that when you have been saved... you go through the three stages of "being saved".... AND, being saved, is not the same as rewards. I believe that the Saints who persevered, will be rewarded... and when it comes to rewards, that all of us have a chance to be Saints (though of course, not necessarily recognized by the Church)

And, "once for all" isn't necessarily saying that you don't need to do as God commands... and continue to live as He allows you to... in His will. Certainly God requires you to choose His ways, instead of your own.

I really think that if Protestants understood the "lingo" for Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, and Catholic and EO's would understand and try to cross with Protestants... then at least... we could understand each other's views. Of course, only God's view at the end... really matters. I believe that there will be many in Heaven that we didn't expect....and the other way as well. :(

Southern Baptist, Weslyn, non-denominational, Assemblies of God, and The Christian denomination. Just to name a few that i have been to and preach this.

Also, I was not tying to be judgmental but was saying that once Jesus enters our heart we have a desire to do what is right in His eyes, it doesn't always happen. But, that Holy Spirit conscience that wasn't there before convicts us of things now that we did in the past that grieved the Lord's heart and that may not have happened prior to salvation. I do believe that we want to do the right thing because we love the Lord but our sin nature gets in the way and we do the opposite.

My husband, his family, and most of my family were all raised Southern Baptist. In fact, my FIL was an SBC pastor. The SBC does NOT teach this. You may have either run into a rogue preacher or some people that have personal issues with the subject or don't really know what the SBC teaches.

My husband, his family, and most of my family were all raised Southern Baptist. In fact, my FIL was an SBC pastor. The SBC does NOT teach this. You may have either run into a rogue preacher or some people that have personal issues with the subject or don't really know what the SBC teaches.

ps. just saw your follow up post. I believe you ran into a rogue pastor. He's not teaching what the SBC teaches or believes.

I wondered. Because when we went to church when I was little we went to a SBC and they didn't do this. I just couldn't handle the condemnation I felt in that church. We go to an Evangelical Covenant Church now, my fil was an E-Free church pastor for over 20years. When we move I think we will be going to a non-denominational.