Menu

Do I need both the teacher and student book for Literary Lessons from LOTR?

I have it and plan to use it next year for our homeschool co-op. Just at a glance, I would say that you really need the Teacher's Manual as it has all the info and answers to the worksheets that are in the Student book.

We are so excited to do this. I'm actually thinking of working through it myself over the summer to prep me for teaching it at the co-op.

But that's because we're doing it aloud together, so I just read the questions aloud and our 2 boys alternate answering. We all throw our 2 cents worth in on the discussion question.

If your child will be doing it on their own, then you'll need the TM -- it is identical to the student book, but has the answers to the comprehension questions, vocabulary worksheets / tests and the discussion questions printed on the pages.

>>> re: what age is LLftLotR for?

Tthe course is listed for grades 7-12. I would say that LLftLotR is probably BEST suited for ages 12-16 (gr. 7-10) -- for a child who can read and understand the language of the books and who will really *enjoy* the story, AND who has or is developed some basic analyzing/discussing skills -- beginning to read literature and think about it.

IMO, the level of lit. anaysis would probably be a little "light" for many 11th-12th graders -- but, if your older high school student enjoys fantasy or hasn't done a lot of heavy literary anaylsis, they, too would probably enjoy this study.

I know some people on this board have done LLotLotR with students down to grade 5. So, if you have a very advanced student, you can give it a try. Younger children who enjoy hearing the story aloud could easily tag along by listening to the books and the discussions.

Hope this helps! Warmly, Lori D.

We did this last year, and after the first couple of months I didn't use the Student Book. YOu definitely need the TM though, thats where all the meat of the program is.

It depends if you want them to do the program independently and fill out worksheets or not. If you do, you need the student book. We however found our way, after trying all of it at first, to spending half an hour a day on the couch together either reading LOTR or doing the work in the TM orally together- the discussions, the comprehension questions. We dropped the vocab after a while but we did it orally too for quite a while.

My kids were 11 and 12/13 when we did this....at the youngest end of the spectrum....but the way we did it kept it interesting and stopped it becoming a chore, which was what I really wanted to avoid.