Menu

keep them together or separate them?

I've been noticing that my boys have not been getting along academically.

Sounds a little strange so let me explain.

My oldest just turned 12. He has a much longer attention span and higher interest level in terms of reading. The next will be 8 on July 15th and looking forward to no longer needing a booster seat. His attention span is much shorter and the interest level just isn't there when you compare them in science and history.

I tend to have the older read the science and history to the younger to help his confidence reading out loud (and give me some time to breath with baby boy). Their reading abilities are about the same but the younger is a really good speller and *always* correcting big brother if he mispronounces something. Sort of backfires on the confidence building thing, though.

And it sometimes breaks down into a physical smackfest. Not conducive to learning by any stretch of the imagination.

So what would you do? Keep them working out of the same book for science and history or set them on different tracks? Or is there some other solution I'm missing?

I'd probably try to separate them. Maybe have them working on the same stuff, but not doing it together like that. It's a big age difference and ability difference.

My 11 and 8 year olds often clash and are certainly not in the same place in their schooling. We're still doing grammar level work with the 8 year old and the 11 year old is firmly into the logic stage.

I understand wanting the break to deal with the baby though. Could you manage something like the SOTW audio cds or have the 8 year old listen to books on Librivox?

My favorite quote about children, reading levels, etc says that if they can't wear the same clothes, then they may not be suited for the same reading material. I'd extend that into teaching as well. There is a world of change in my sons between their kindergarden year, their first year and now going into second. They are the same age, and there is a world of difference between them in their personality! Technically, they are in the same grade, covering the same material, and in quite a few things they are at the same level. Yet, I find it easier to teach them one on one when it comes to reading, writing, math, and art, and to a lesser extent, penmanship. I can combine history for now, but I'm not entirely sure about science! Actually, when it comes right down to it, I find it saves me time to tutor, rather than to try to turn everything into a "class". When I try to create a "pseudo-schoolroom" I get into time problems, and everyone ends up frustrated. Ditto for trying to create elaborate schedules or lesson plans. I don't entirely get why that happens, but it does for us. Realizing that I don't have to "teach class" has been my major sanity saver.

I use a timer for lessons. I get about thirty minutes for most things, a little less for reading, a little more for math. When I am teaching one child, the other has strict orders not to interrupt or bother unless something is bleeding, on fire, or exploding. (In which case we all want to see it!:tongue_smilie:)

I would also agree with using audio-books. The older might be listening to his lesson in another room, while you could tutor the younger in his lessons, since you know he would not be ready for sitting down for long periods at a time. I would not ask the older to read to the younger unless he wants to. That can be a lot of pressure on an older brother in any case, and on a reluctant reader that could turn into a torture session for sure. Take it from a now good reader who wasn't so great as a child.

For your history and science, the library and used book stores have always come up huge for me. I "like" SOTW, but I tend to use it as a spine, in case I can't find something that I like better for the event or people we are covering. I ended up with all the books (bought cheaply as a used set) but I am not going to use an activity guide this year. My library can supply me with more than enough fun things, and as I read through I kept coming up with ideas, which I jot down in my legal pad for future investigation.

Edited by Critterfixer

I don't even combine my 7 and 9 yr old. They're too different from each other in terms of ability and interest and attention span and they're both a little needy at times. I start my 9 yr old off with a lesson and then send her to do some independent work and start my 7 yr old with her lesson. Since she can't do more than a few minutes of independent work, I'll have her do some chores or read something quietly or use the computer while I do another lesson with my 9 yr old and repeat the cycle.

This will be my first year not combining my 2nd and 3rd. But until now, I feel like my older is being held back and my younger pulled along and not ever really "getting it". They've always done separate math and phonics instruction. I'm praying for a smoother year as I'll add a Kindergarten girl into the mix this year!

Well my boys are 10 and 11 (nearly 12) and they even do wear the same clothes (in fact they even just have one dresser :001_huh:).

But my older has always been ahead of grade level and my younger has always been behind/right at grade level so actually combining doesn't often work. (Just as a simple example, my oldest was a strong reader at 4 or 5, my younger didn't read at all until 9).

That said, even when I was teaching my sis (who is 4 years older then my oldest), we all combine content subjects. Even if we had one text that I used for my main plan, they would all do different things. The oldest would read more and write a simple report, the middle would do an outline of the text, and the younger a simple narration, maybe even just on a picture book.

I don't think that a 12 yo and a 7yo should be reading from the same text, but that doesn't mean you have to completely separate them. They can still be studing the same topics. I usually find it easier to plan down then up, so I pick something that will work for the older and just use picture books or simpler reference books for the youngers, on the same topics. Or if his reading is really good enough, then they can just read it each on thier own.