Menu

Place Value Disks for Singapore Math

Oh wait. I take that back (now that I've looked at the pictures). We recently used them. They were a novel change from our base-10 blocks, but basically function the same.

It's cheaper than base-10, although I do have these, but I would have to buy A LOT more to get us into the thousands.

These are suggested for Singapore Math 3 in the HIG std edition. RR carries 2 different sets, here and here. Are these disks helpful, better than base-ten blocks?

Or is there a place where I can download a worksheet of number disks and then laminate and cut them? That's a lot of work, isn't it? :glare:

...using plastic color tiles. Using a Sharpie, I wrote the numbers on them..."1" on the blue tiles, "10" on the red tiles, etc. The ones you linked look better since they have more than 4 colors! However, I don't remember feeling like I was missing out by not having any tiles higher than 1000.

We used the place-value tiles more than the base-10 blocks in various games and activities suggested in the SM Teacher's Guides, primarily in levels 3 through 5. And we've used PM-1 through PM-6. If you don't do any of the suggested activities or games in the HIGs or TGs, then you probably won't need the disks at all. An alternative to the disks might be to use real money -- pennies, dimes, dollar coins. You could get by with that for awhile!

You could probably use the base-10 blocks for some of the games, but after awhile, I think you'd need more 100s and 1000s than you might have in your block set. Plus, the games move faster when you're working with a little disk or tile instead of the the 100-flat.

HTH!

We bought them since 2a introduces them within the first two weeks. Not sure how much we'll actually use them though yet. I think you could certainly make your own. I like foamy manipulatives though, so I just bought them.

I got them from RR, the first set you linked.

For 2A, we just used clear colored chips from our Bingo set. We thought they were invaluable for mastering "renaming" in addition and subtraction. I suspect that, by the time we get to numbers large enough that exceed the number of colors we have, we won't need them anymore.

I think there is value in place value disks when the numbers get high. There may be confusion in figuring how many tens there are in 10,000 (and I won't be teaching DD the trick for figuring that out) or 100s in 100,000. So, I need something that could help DD play around with the numbers while she is figuring out these things in her mind.

I didn't get the HIGs for 1 and 2, but wow, for 3A, I'm wondering what I missed in the previous levels. We've been working on this orally, saying that 23 one-hundreds is equal to 2300 or 23 tens is 230. It would be good to play around with foam disks, but my RR cart only has about $100:glare: so I may end up ordering plastic counters from Amazon and marking them up with a permanent marker. One of the reasons why I hesitated with the latter is that I'm allergic to the smell of permanent markers.

I used plastic poker chips, which also let us name colors for higher values and practice regrouping there, too. I didn't bother to label them-we just consistently had a color match a place value.

When I did the Singapore number sense course, there were manipulatives to download and print, but cutting out all those circles when poker chips were available at dollar tree seemed silly.