Menu

Feather Hair Extensions

Don't have all the answers for you, but there was an interesting article in the NYTimes this morning that talked about this phenomenon, and I think they mentioned how long they last.

ETA: oops! Linked the wrong one! Who would have thought there would be two articles on this trend in the NYTIMes in the past couple of months LOL.> Here's the one from today.

My girls, along with a few of their friends, got them several weeks ago. Three feathers for $20 at the local cosmetology school. They were told they would last for two months.

One of the feathers fell out that night. Some fell out within a few days. Some of the other girls still have theirs. It seems to me that the girls with thin straight hair lost theirs quickly, while they lasted longer in the girls with thicker hair.

These were the kind with crimp beads. My hairdresser has the kind with a barrette clip. I think we'll do that next time, so they can take it out when they shampoo. They got a little ragged looking after a couple weeks.

I thought they were cute.

My teenager has three of them. She got them about a month ago, and they have maintained well. They are the clip kind. She has thick, slightly wavy hair, and she seems to be able to wash and style as usual with the feathers. They're pretty cute. She wanted me to get some, but I didn't think that would fly with my professional job.:tongue_smilie:

My dd has two - they are the kind that are put in w/ a crimped bead. She has had them for about a month without any trouble. She has hair that has a ringlet, wavy curl if left natural - but she generally straightens it. We've also curled it recently w/ a curling iron for a wedding and daily it's pulled up in a pony tail or bun for gym.

Thanks for all the replies!

The girl we saw at the ball park said that her's were glued in??? DD's hair is long, fairly straight, and thin. It doesn't sound like they would stay in very long with that kind of hair though. :sad:

A friend of mine was in Oxford, MS the other day and said it was a big thing there at Ole Miss. They were charging $10 a pop for what she said looked like guinea feathers that had been dyed.

I saw earrings in a magazine that were long guinea feathers dyed gold with a smaller, fuzzier guinea feather at the top. I have a guinea... all this has me going hmmm......