Menu

At the risk of sounding really dumb...

What is Attachment Parenting? When I hear "attachment" I immediately think of RAD. Which makes me want to run and hide, but that is a different can of worms.

I know it has to do with extended breastfeeding, which I did, but what else does it encompass?

ha! depends on who you ask... there are some who feel there are very specific "rules" about AP, such as co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, wearing your baby, natural birth etc. etc etc... the problem that has cropped up (IMO) in the AP movement is the idea of parental passivity. Whereby you can't do anything that might harm your child's self esteem/psyche. So you don't tell your child no, you don't discipline, etc... everything is "child led"

However, fundamentally I believe that idea of AP is that your child is integrated into your life, not merely an accessory. You include them in what you do, so when I cook I have a child or two helping me (even when their help is not much of a help!) When dh is working on the fence he's got a kid or two handing him tools etc.. We don't hire a babysitter every time we need to get something done, or sit them in front of the TV etc... We talk to them and involve them in what we do.

We practice AP and we do some of the "rules" or common AP things, like co-sleeping, and we do allow for natural consequences as it's appropriate, and we do allow for some child-led things (like I try not to push academics before they are ready). However, there are specific rules in our house and specific discipline methods for breaking said rules. My children are "trained" (a horrible word in most AP circles) to behave.

the problem that has cropped up (IMO) in the AP movement is the idea of parental passivity. Whereby you can't do anything that might harm your child's self esteem/psyche. So you don't tell your child no, you don't discipline, etc... everything is "child led"

IMO that's *not* part of the AP movement though. That's part of the "taking your child seriously" crowd. Anyone who spent *any* time on AP email lists/list serve could tell horror stories of giant flame wars on that topic.

AP is a term coined by Dr. Sears and he definitely believes in discipline and telling your child no.

ha! depends on who you ask... there are some who feel there are very specific "rules" about AP, such as co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, wearing your baby, natural birth etc. etc etc... the problem that has cropped up (IMO) in the AP movement is the idea of parental passivity. Whereby you can't do anything that might harm your child's self esteem/psyche. So you don't tell your child no, you don't discipline, etc... everything is "child led"

However, fundamentally I believe that idea of AP is that your child is integrated into your life, not merely an accessory. You include them in what you do, so when I cook I have a child or two helping me (even when their help is not much of a help!) When dh is working on the fence he's got a kid or two handing him tools etc.. We don't hire a babysitter every time we need to get something done, or sit them in front of the TV etc... We talk to them and involve them in what we do.

We practice AP and we do some of the "rules" or common AP things, like co-sleeping, and we do allow for natural consequences as it's appropriate, and we do allow for some child-led things (like I try not to push academics before they are ready). However, there are specific rules in our house and specific discipline methods for breaking said rules. My children are "trained" (a horrible word in most AP circles) to behave.

:iagree: and love this explanation. I've been struggling to out of my mini-culture's attitude towards kids, and thank God, I think I'm finally here!

For example, this is what I hear from older women in my little circle of life:

"why breastfeed, it takes everything out of you and is too tiring"

" Oh, so little angel is 1 yr old. so when will you be putting her in school"

" she's 'still' sleeping in your room??"

"are you sure it's ok that your newborn is sleeping right next to you?"

and on and on... so I do love the philosophy of embracing your children in your life and including them rather than finding ways to pawn them off.

DISCLAIMER: i'm not dissing anyone who bottle fed for whatever reason, but breast is best when it's not posing a health threat to mom and/or baby. i had to bottle feed on of mine due to her allergy and my dwindling health.

"Attachment" in this case refers to making oneself available and keeping the child in proximity physically and emotionally in order to let natural bonds or attachments form and it's believed this will make for a more well rounded and healthy child or in the long run, adult. At least that's my take! :)