Menu

Stop payment on Check?

I sent my parents in NY a check for over $4000 (partial payment on custom kitchen). It never got to them and this was a week and a half ago. Mail from MT to NY is usually 3 days so I am getting a bit worried that the check was lost in the mail.

Should I put a stop payment on it? I called the bank and it would cost $30 for this service.. Would we be liable if someone cashed it fraudulently?

You can call and report that check as "lost". Then they simply won't honor it if someone tries to cash it.

And then I would FedEx or UPS a new check. For money, I like real time tracking.

Is this different than a stop payment? I didn't know I had that option. I guess I don't know much about banking, but how would a bank in NY know not to cash a check that was reported lost to a bank in MT? :001_huh:

Good thought about using FedEx. If I have to send a new check, I'll have to go that route.

It would probably be worth the $30 to me not to have it hanging over my head. Good luck.

DITTO the $30 would be a smaller price to lose than the original amount...at my bank they could put a hold or something on that check and if it did come in they would call and see if it was OK to put it through your account....meaning if the right person endorsed it it would be ok to put through......goodness did you send it through the mail with any tracking info??? good luck-hope it shows up.....that's not good to have a check that large out for so long....

I would stop payment.

Then I'd either FedEx a replacement (2 day delivery is not nearly as pricey as 1 day) and/or, better yet, use my online banking to transfer by e-check. We have our online banking set up to be able to use e-check to send my mom money. It's very handy and was not hard to do at all -- just like any other bill paying over your online checking, but we had to enter her bank account info at first in order to get it to go directly instead of being mailed (by the bank) as a paper check. Click, click, click and the money is there the same/next day.

The echecks carry no fees on either end!!!

Is this different than a stop payment? I didn't know I had that option. I guess I don't know much about banking, but how would a bank in NY know not to cash a check that was reported lost to a bank in MT? :001_huh:

My understanding is that this isn't sufficient. Perhaps it would be fine in a small community bank, but large banks generally say that they are not responsible unless you actually put a "stop payment" on the check.