Menu

U.S. state study for an 8th grader

We will be studying the states again this year. This time it can count as a high school credit for geography for my oldest dd.

The last time we did the states I think my oldest was 4th or 5th grade and my 2nd dd was 2nd or 3rd grade. I know how do to the fun projects to learn the states.

What resources are there for older middle school/high school level? I can still have her make a notebook like the other kids and require more in-depth work. But is there anything I could add to it? Research projects perhaps?

We will be studying the states again this year. This time it can count as a high school credit for geography for my oldest dd.

The last time we did the states I think my oldest was 4th or 5th grade and my 2nd dd was 2nd or 3rd grade. I know how do to the fun projects to learn the states.

What resources are there for older middle school/high school level? I can still have her make a notebook like the other kids and require more in-depth work. But is there anything I could add to it? Research projects perhaps?

If you are counting this as geography, then how about including the physical geography of the state and how it impacted settlement and industry. For example, there is a great article about how the different fossils in Ohio and Kentucky influenced the soap industry in one state (Proctor & Gamble) and horse racing in the other. (I'm failing at locating the article at the moment.)

You could do similar study of the influence of rivers or mountains or plains or various animals on how the area developed.

Heather, both my dc will be studying US hist & geog. I am using the Heroes of History Maps for my 8th grade dd. You can view it at the link below.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Maps+of+the+United+States/038411/1309218827-459271

I really like the style of the maps, the list of questions that the student researches, and the recommended labeling activities. In the back of this book, there are many ideas for other ways to enhance the study of the states. I'm also purchasing the 2011 WorldBook DVD-Rom to help her do more research on each state.

HTH,

Jennifer

We are doing U.S. history this year. I'm including a section in our notebook on the presidents and a section on each state. I have a book on the presidents, so my son will write a simple essay on each president. For the states, I'll have him do a similar essay using the internet for his resources. We will also review the map of the U.S. and the capitals. HTH!

You may have the basics covered already, but I thought I'd mention that SOS has courses for 7-12th graders for each state and that they are designed to cover standard state requirements. I thought they look good, and for a very reasonable price. Here is a link to them all. If you check out the course descriptions, there is a download that lists the exact projects that are included.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks!

We don't need history or presidents this year. And a homeschool Mom in OK has developed a really great curriculum for OK history. :)

I think we may have enough. She has a pretty full course load so I think the research on the states that I'll have her do will be adequate.

We did a states study last year using Trail Guide to US Geography. My oldest did their highest level student book, and I thought it was quite challenging for him from a geographic standpoint. Each level had map work, but with the oldest he spent a fair amount of time online researching different map points.