Menu

Do we need extra SM practice books?

jamijoy

My son just finished 4th grade and is finishing up Singapore Math 5B this summer. He does one lesson a day, five days a week during the school year and three days a week during the summer. We have the textbooks but rarely use them. We are math-y people and he gets the concepts quickly and gets impatient when I would try to teach him with the textbooks, so I pretty much gave up and just explain it in my own words, if I need to explain it at all, which isn't very often.

Anyways, he ends up spending 10-15 minutes on math or even less if the lesson is really short (the geometry lessons come to mind). He gets the problems correct for the most part (only simple math errors on occasion) and rarely needs help. He does fine during the reviews and remembers how to do everything.

Reading on the curriculum forum, it seems like those who use Singapore Math use the Intensive Practice and Extra Word Problems (whatever it's called). Is there any reason I should consider giving my son more math problems each day? My just-finished first grade son is in 2A right now and looks to be strong in math as well and also finishes quickly.

While they are both strong at math, they don't necessarily enjoy doing it so much that they would want to do more each day (although I don't do all of school based on what they want to do). I think they have a good grasp on what they are learning and I am comfortable with having them just do the workbook.

However, I learn new things everyday and am wondering if I am missing some information about if and why they should be spending more time doing math.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Definitely don't need the "Extra Practice" books. Too easy.

If you want to reinforce everything at a bit higher level, you can add Intesive Practice.

If your dc loves word problems, you can add Challenging Word Problems, which will also serve as an overall review.

You can do some of either IP and/or CWP some years and skip it other years.

After tweaking with my olders. . . My youngest's routine has thus far been: (I think this would be a decent prototypical routine for a mathy kid.)

PM 1 Txt & Wkbk

PM 2 Txt & Wkbk

PM 3 Txt & Wkbk

3A & 3B IP

PM 4 Txt & Wkbk

4 CWP

Since we've discovered she LOVES word problems, I'll probably do the following for the next couple years. . . (I haven't used CWP much with my olders, but did to about two levels of IP with each of them, particularly being sure to do 6 IP before moving on to Algebra)

PM 5 Txt & Wkbk

5 CWP

PM 6 Txt & Wkbk

6A & 6B IP

6 CWP

The additional books aren't just *more*. They take the basic lesson and make you think about it and figure it out and apply it. The Challenging Problems section of each topic of the Challenging Word Problems book can sometimes be really difficult to sort out and really makes you think and work.

If I *had* to choose between the books, I'd do the textbook first (sometimes my kids do this on their own -- they tell me it's TOO obvious and I'm TOO slow in explaining it). After that, if the workbook lesson is too easy, I'd choose the Intensive Practice instead.

We've found that the word problems in the Challenging Word Problems books aren't as challeging as the ones in the IP books.

Never used the Extra Practice. I've heard it's just "more of the same" of the workbook, which we usually find easy.

There have been some problems in the IP books that required my kids to really put on their thinking caps and shut off the "rote" valve. That's my goal: get them to *think* about math.

Edited by zaichiki
ack! spelling

IMO, the word problem and intensive practice books are the strongest parts of the program. I would consider using those instead of the workbook.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The Intensive Practice books require the student to go beyond just straightforward equation solving to really think about the math. My DD is not a big math fan, but she cheers when it's time to do an IP section because she considers it "fun math".

We just started 1A & found out that dd pretty much knew the first half of the book already, and the second half would be easy. We are skipping the workbook & textbook entirely for now & just doing the IP. I will be adding the CWP next week. I don't plan to crack open the workbook until we hit really new things. The IP presents the material in new & challenging/interesting ways. Dd enjoyed it very much. The IP feels like a really meaty math program, as opposed to a solid math program in the workbook. I hope that makes sense.

It sounds like he'd really like the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problem books.

LOL, I don't think he'll like them more, but it sounds like they will challenge him a bit more. :)

Thanks for all of your input everyone.

LOL, I don't think he'll like them more, but it sounds like they will challenge him a bit more. :)

Sometimes giving them a challenge makes them like it more. ;) If he's bored to tears with what he's being given, that might be part of why he doesn't enjoy it.

Definitely ditto using the IP and CWP, or at least the IP.