Menu

New here, looking for a grammar program for my struggling 6th grader

Something that we can work on over the summer to help get her up to speed. She has ADHD and has been in special ed for reading, writing and math. She's made a lot of improvement and was moved back into the regular class for math at the end of 4th grade and for reading mid 5th grade. However her writing and spelling are still behind, quite a bit IMO. She's starting to enjoy writing finally and loves writing in her diary. I admit to peeking at it and sometimes the writing and spelling is pretty good and other times atrocious. You just never know with her.

I'm seriously considering the All About Spelling program but would also like a grammar program? She's very sensitive, artsy and creative. She does best with hands on stuff and can get overwhelmed at times if there is too much visually on a page.

Any recommendations? It will actually be my sister working with her as she will be watching her for us this summer during the work day. My sister is a teacher but high school and she teaches remedial reading but has only taught one writing class and she admits it was her least favorite class to teach!

Have you looked at Learning Language Arts Through Literature? www.commonsensepress.com We've only used a few levels. The Red Level (2nd grade) was very hands-on with lots of manipulatives and a different activity every day. It was fun, but I'd say it was a little weak in content for my very verbal dd. The Green Level (7th grade) was perfect for my reading/writing-resistant ds. It was interesting to him, he enjoyed it(!), and the grammar content was great. The Gray Level (8th grade) was not as fun for ds or as strong in grammar content as the Green Level.

Don't know if that will be helpful, but maybe you can get an idea of it from their website.

I think AAS might be a great idea.

You might want to look into the Megawords series, since it is both spelling, phonics, and vocabulary and aimed at middle schoolers.

EPS also produces some other good programs for struggling middle-schoolers. Take a look at The Paragraph Book for helping with organization of writing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think All About Spelling is great! The hands-on aspect with the letter tiles would probably be good for her. For Grammar, definitely check-out Michael Clay Thompson's (referred to as MCT) on the Royal Fireworks press website. It is very appealing for artsy types and not a lot on each page. We are going to use the Town level this year with my 5th grade daughter. We had used Shurley English previously and I think it might drive your daughter nuts. The jingles and the repetitiveness got old for us. It was great for the early grades, but you start it all over every year (for reinforcement) and it just got wearisome for us.

HTH,

Michelle

You can have a look at KISS Grammar. It is free and it is great :001_smile:

KISS takes a contextual approach to Grammar and starts with analyzing sentences, subjects, verbs and phrases rather than starting with the parts of speech (it assumes some familiarity with the parts of speech). It makes a child think and I feel it would be good as a remedial program as well. I am using this with my 5th Grader.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes...we used easy grammar. I would love to buy the ultimate series or the daily grams as it is a tiny bit to use daily. I think it would be less demanding but still be learning and repeating a lot of the same topics each week.

I liked megawords but I didnt get much out of it for my son. I wish it would have worked better. Wordly Wise was a nice addition but I had to go down to a lower level for my son. He tests very high on vocab. with this but not very good on using the words in his writing.

I think KISS grammar would be a great start as it is free and online. LLATL was terrible for my son. I couldnt get him to read with the books and he hated everything about it. (just his view)