Menu

Help! Need thoughts on writing program for dd

I have a problem. I am not very confident in my teaching writing to my 15y.o. dd. We've struggled in this area for a long time. That coupled with the fact that I have a special needs son who requires a lot of time, has left me feeling anxious about her writing abilities with only a few years left of HS for her. She is very bright and really does do a decent job of writing, but I really feel like I've let her down in that area and I am looking for a solid program that will help solidify a good foundation for her before she heads off to college. I am afraid when asked to write for school, (or worse the SAT) that she won't know what to do or how to approach the assignment.

The program we have on our shelf currently is Writeshop. It's OK. Maybe it's something I'll use with my son, but I find it to be a bit of a pain to flip back and forth through ALL of those sections to find the information I want. We really put it off this year and did not accomplish as much as I would have liked to.

I am curious about your thoughts on Writeshop, Understanding Writing, and IEW. Please understand that she is 15, going in to 10th grade, and has not had a classical education. I do use a modified classical approach with my son. If there are any other programs out that that you might want to bring to my attention I am willing to hear any suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

I have high hopes for the upcoming Essentials in Writing curriculum, but as it is not out yet, there are no reviews, and I may end up very disappointed.

I intend to buy the essay writing module for high school this fall and see if it lives up to my hopes. If it does, I will also get the research project module and possibly (but less likely) technical writing. We will not be doing creative writing at the high school level.

are very similar. There is a comparison on the IEW Families Yahoo Group, but when I tried to link it, well, let's just say it was not pretty =) I've copied and pasted some of the key points below:

"I don't have a complaint about IEW. I have noticed several people on various

boards going to WriteShop. It appears the advantage they are seeing is more

detailed instructions/lesson plans. Some people like/need being told what to

do each day each step of the way. It appears that WriteShop may break down some subskills more like actually teaching how to view something

descriptively and write from various points of view. It sounds like

WriteShop is a very good program for the older student for families wanting

that direction. For my present needs, I prefer the flexibility and freedom

that IEW provides. Additionally I appreciate the application to all of my

students. I love setting the pace according the varying abilities of my

students and allowing writing to be an extension of our unit studies." Lisa

"I tried both programs and I prefer IEW, based on ease of teaching and

results. The teacher's manual for Write Shop doesn't include all the things

the student has, so you have an extra step to go into your child's book to

find out what's happening in the lesson. For me, that extra step pushed me

over the edge because there are just so many steps! I wish I could sell it

but I kept writing and highlighting everywhere to keep track of all the

steps." (She goes on to list 10 additional steps required for Lesson 10 in WriteShop) Gayle

"I think that both programs are great. I think the prepared lessons in

WriteShop are certainly attactive. WriteShop also assigns brainstorming

sessions with instructions on what to do. They help you organize each type

of paragraph (regardless of the topic) and then directs you in adding the new

skill (dress ups, openers) all the while including past skills. Sounds a lot

like IEW with direction, huh??? There is so much overlap with both programs

that we feel like we're getting the best of both worlds. I wouldn't give up

one for the other.

I know that some people can do fine with IEW alone, but some of us can not.

I am educated and intelligent with a pretty good writing capability. I can

use the program and understand it, but on a day to day basis I can not for

the life of me, coordinate the program with my child's needs.

So, I hope people aren't really jumping ship, but rather augmenting the

program. I hope that WriteShop will encourage people to stick with IEW

(sounds funny). But, if they have better direction in using IEW principles

then they are more likely to succeed with it." Donna in IL

IEW offers dvds that your student can watch which are complete instruction. One dvd per week with an assignment. If you feel she needs more practice, consult the lesson plans. There is also a wonderful support group on Yahoo Groups.

If you would like to discuss more, please feel free to email privately =)

Blessings,

Teresa in NC

I've used so many programs over the years and always go back to IEW, so I have to recommend IEW DVD workshop for $99-Student Writing Intensive C

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sid-c Students can do it completely alone, although it will be helpful for you to watch it. Andrew is funny, so students enjoy it too. If she can't write a lick, then you might want to get level B, but C starts from the beginning and she should be fine with that.

Adding, I tried writeshop and like IEW much more because it's easier to use and doesn't try to shove multiple writing approaches at the student.

Edited by love2read

I have high hopes for the upcoming Essentials in Writing curriculum, but as it is not out yet, there are no reviews, and I may end up very disappointed.

I intend to buy the essay writing module for high school this fall and see if it lives up to my hopes. If it does, I will also get the research project module and possibly (but less likely) technical writing. We will not be doing creative writing at the high school level.

I saw this vendor this past week at our homeschool conference and he told me that the high school courses will not be available until next year. Have you heard otherwise?

I saw this vendor this past week at our homeschool conference and he told me that the high school courses will not be available until next year. Have you heard otherwise?

The website currently claims that the course will be available in August:

High School Essay Writing

NOTE: This course is projected to be released August 1. A PRE ORDER option will be added in July.

Put That In Writing looks great to me----so great, in fact, that it is most definitely what I am using with ds from 10th-12th! It is very structured, with daily assignments, which is exactly the style we need. The first level hones in on paragraph writing and the second level focuses on mastering the essay, including some classical style writing. You can visit the site at http://barrettsbookshelf.com/ and view and/or print off the units to preview. I printed a bunch last night and carefully looked it over, which is what helped me finally decide ;)

I just thought I'd share the whole LA plan I have come up with for her.

We will use:

Teaching the Classics, we'll do this for the first couple of weeks to get a jump on Lit analysis.

Learning LA Through Literature

Wordsmith Craftsman

When we get to the portion on writing research papers we'll take a break and use: Writing Research Papers with Confidence.

Winston Grammar

Sat and College Prep for the Christian Student (Stobaugh)

My plan is to go heavy on the language arts this year.

What do you think?

I've used so many programs over the years and always go back to IEW, so I have to recommend IEW DVD workshop for $99-Student Writing Intensive C

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sid-c

:iagree:

You could start with SWI-C, and if you like it (and like the DVD approach), you could continue with SICC-C. There is a big re-sale market for IEW curriculum. It looks expensive, but it's easy to sell when you are finished with it. ;)

--> Edit: :ohmy: Oops, just saw that you posted your plans wicki859! Guess I'm stepping in late!

Edited by Brigid in NC

I can't tell what her particular writing challenges are, from what you've said. I personally wouldn't add a big program like IEW unless it fits a particular need of hers, such as too many Dick-N-Jane sentences, or difficulty paraphrasing, etc. Although watching one of the classes on video couldn't hurt, I suppose.

Unless she has a particular need, I'd just try to set aside some time to give her feedback on her writing, almost every day. It sounds like you are very busy, but I find that if I "schedule" something in, then it can get done. And I just don't think a good writer is built by a program; I think writing is a form of communication, and there just has to be a human being on the other end of that.

At her age, usually the biggest tasks to be conquered are:

- the ability to "have something specific to say" and not just restating what she has read, or saying something vague

- the ability to back up what she "has to say" with specific reasons and details, quotes and references

- organizing what she says so that the reader can clearly see where she is going and, in the end, what exactly she said

- reviewing some of the grammar details that she learned on paper in the past, but now actually needs to put into practice in her more complex writing (but only after she has finished saying what she has to say in her writing)

Julie