Menu

Graduating Late?! Please help!

Hello Everyone:001_smile:

My senior year of high school is over(my mom home schools me).

..But i want to take my high school science courses(chem,bio, physic, maybe even Anatomy) all over again because i want to become a nurse & i do not feel confident on the education i have received for science.

I want to take the course(s) at a Community College. I am also thinking about taking a psychology course & Spanish language course(since i did not take that during High School) too.

I was hoping to get a little advice & answers on my situation. My questions are the following :

1) Will i have to graduate late?

2) Since i am home-schooled can my mother just issue me my Diploma AFTER i complete the Science course, or Before?!

3) What do i put on my transcript?

- Should i put that i retook my science course at an community college? Or should i put both my home school science course AND my community college course on the transcript?

**Sorry if my post is a bit choppy, I am confused on what i should do! But i am also very tired:tongue_smilie: **

Guest emmabee

Why worry about graduating if you plan to take the courses at the community college? (Which sounds like a great plan, by the way.) Just graduate and take the courses- I expect college-level courses in all the subjects you mentioned are required for nursing anyway. Trust me, these courses will be a great bridge for you into your career.

Thanks for replying..

..Well im mostly worried about graduating because 1) I need a job and most jobs require a high school diploma(i dont know if they require actual proof). 2) I dont want to get an GED. 3) Theres not a lot of ppl who has graduated in my family...well thats a personal reason lol.

I just want to know if i am an actual graduate even though i am retaking my science courses:001_huh:

If you're taking them at the community college, you can certainly be graduated from high school. Whether that is an advantage or not depends on your state (some states pay for dual enrollment.)

The other consideration is whether you want to transfer these credits to your eventual college (have you applied/chosen one yet?) Or you don't want any college credit for them and want to enter as a freshman? This depends on your college.

Well the chemistry, biology & physics will be at an high school level so i guess i wont be able to use those towards college?!

But the Anatomy & Psychology(im not sure about the Spanish course) will be at a College level so hopefully i will be able to transfer those. Im thinking about going to the same community college to become an RN.

Most community colleges have different levels of basic science classes, one which is recommended for students who did not have a solid high school course and one which is recommended for students who did. Often, the lower level one is recommended before the higher level one if the student wishes to move up.

Both will usually count as college credit, although your community college may be different.

There's no real reason to count it as high school unless your state has dual enrollment and will pay for you to take the class. As an adult student, you will be eligible for financial aid and other ways to help you pay for your education.

You will get a lot of info specific to your situation if you speak with the admissions counselors at the CC you will be attending.

Doesn't nursing require a bachelor's degree these days? Does the CC offer that?
Many CCs offer 4 year degree programs now. My son has a choice of several universities he can attend right on the CC campus when he's ready to transfer. It's a partnership and the degree is actually granted by the university, but sure is convenient for those seeking degrees at a much reduced cost (and without the residential college experience which is something not all students are looking for).

Well the chemistry, biology & physics will be at an high school level so i guess i wont be able to use those towards college?!

But the Anatomy & Psychology(im not sure about the Spanish course) will be at a College level so hopefully i will be able to transfer those. Im thinking about going to the same community college to become an RN.

They won't likely all count toward your degree (Physics might.), but they should (hopefully positively) affect your GPA.

I think they would be pleased you are looking to shore up your science foundations before continuing on.

Doesn't nursing require a bachelor's degree these days? Does the CC offer that?

If you continue at the same CC, they will probably insist on keeping the courses on your college transcript.

No you can have an ASN but some say that a BSN is better. So i was thinking of getting my ASN at the community college and later on attend a university to obtain a BSN.

I want to just go for the bachelors but nursing school is so competitive to get in i think i will have a better chance getting into the community college first.

Or maybe i should continue taking college courses at the community college for my application towards the BSN degree and just skip the ASN to BSN process...

..Dont mind me, i have a hard time making up my mind:001_huh:

They won't likely all count toward your degree (Physics might.), but they should (hopefully positively) affect your GPA.

I think they would be pleased you are looking to shore up your science foundations before continuing on.

Thanks. I rather just re-take my science courses instead of going into nursing and taking a chance on failing science.

Also, see what you can find on your CC website. This is a list of core requirements for one that is local to us:

AS Degree

The above classes are required for all AS degrees. The two English classes listed are upper high school/early college level. Bio, Chem and Physics IS listed along with precalc (6-8 credits total). So if your CC is similar, two or three of those four classes would indeed count toward the 2 year degree.

The remaining credits would be more specific to the field of study you are pursuing. In my son's case, WAY more math classes and higher level physics and chem. He is pursuing an AS in mathematics.

Most community colleges have different levels of basic science classes, one which is recommended for students who did not have a solid high school course and one which is recommended for students who did. Often, the lower level one is recommended before the higher level one if the student wishes to move up.

Both will usually count as college credit, although your community college may be different.

There's no real reason to count it as high school unless your state has dual enrollment and will pay for you to take the class. As an adult student, you will be eligible for financial aid and other ways to help you pay for your education.

Yeah, my local CC has at least 3 levels. Im going to call on Monday and make sure which class credits are going towards college.

Hello Everyone:001_smile:

My senior year of high school is over(my mom home schools me).

..But i want to take my high school science courses(chem,bio, physic, maybe even Anatomy) all over again because i want to become a nurse & i do not feel confident on the education i have received for science.

I want to take the course(s) at a Community College. I am also thinking about taking a psychology course & Spanish language course(since i did not take that during High School) too.

I was hoping to get a little advice & answers on my situation. My questions are the following :

1) Will i have to graduate late?

2) Since i am home-schooled can my mother just issue me my Diploma AFTER i complete the Science course, or Before?!

3) What do i put on my transcript?

- Should i put that i retook my science course at an community college? Or should i put both my home school science course AND my community college course on the transcript?

**Sorry if my post is a bit choppy, I am confused on what i should do! But i am also very tired:tongue_smilie: **

1. No, you won't have to graduate "late."

2. Your mother can issue your diploma whenever she wants to. She's the boss of your school.

3. Did you "pass" the science course you did at home? If so, put that grade on your high school transcript. Your community college will issue its own transcript. That's the thing, you see: most of your high school courses will be repeated at the college level (which includes c.c.) as "lower division" courses.

You will get a lot of info specific to your situation if you speak with the admissions counselors at the CC you will be attending.

Many CCs offer 4 year degree programs now. My son has a choice of several universities he can attend right on the CC campus when he's ready to transfer. It's a partnership and the degree is actually granted by the university, but sure is convenient for those seeking degrees at a much reduced cost (and without the residential college experience which is something not all students are looking for).

i just checked my local CC website and they offer something just like that. I would get my Associate at the CC and i transfer my credits to a certain University to obtain my BSN.:D

If you (OP) are 18, you can enroll at your community college without possessing a high school diploma. (Check with your CC; however, that is the case for those in my state.) As you indicate that you want to take the science courses at a CC in the first place, just do so as part of your "core curriculum" once you are enrolled. If you want to obtain a BSN, your "core curriculum" will transfer to a four-year college with a BSN program. If you are after an LVN or LPN (whichever be the title used where you live), and the CC offers a program, then you are "home free" so as to speak.

At any rate, I would not lose sleep about whether or not you have a h.s. diploma, if you intend to begin at a CC. One of my children does not have a diploma, nor did he obtain a G.E.D. He simply enrolled at CC, made top grades, then transferred to a competitive university, from which he received a very large scholarship.

Best wishes to you!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you don't yet have enough credits to have a typical high school transcript, or you don't have high-level credits, or maybe that your grades are sub-par? For one of these reasons or another reason, you would not be happy with your transcript if you graduated right now?

I think as far as your future college applications go, your grades at the CC (and your ACT/SAT if they require that) will be more important than anything on your transcript. Transcripts are just too much of an unknown, even for public schoolers.

Or is there another reason why you wouldn't want to graduate right now -- will your state pay for cc courses if they are taken during high school?

Julie

No you can have an ASN but some say that a BSN is better. So i was thinking of getting my ASN at the community college and later on attend a university to obtain a BSN.

I want to just go for the bachelors but nursing school is so competitive to get in i think i will have a better chance getting into the community college first.

Or maybe i should continue taking college courses at the community college for my application towards the BSN degree and just skip the ASN to BSN process...

..Dont mind me, i have a hard time making up my mind:001_huh:

Many nurses begin with an A.S. in nursing.

I would talk first with the cc advisor and the department head to get a better idea. I personally think you will be better off with getting your parent to issue the diploma (easily done) to put in your personal file. If you already are admitted into cc, the diploma is kind of a moot point. When you transfer to a 4 year, the cc transcript will note you graduated from high school. I would not worry about it.

There is a shortage of nurses. And not enough colleges/universities to help the shortage. Which is why you see the large amount of competition into nursing schools. I would focus right now on the goal of getting your A.S. in nursing. Take the required courses in cc with whatever level of biology, chemistry, A&P, etc.

And once you get that goal, decide on working p/t or f/t in nursing (it is flexible schedule you can work nights, weekends, once a week, etc) with the appropriate license, and finally after a year or so doing this... begin work on a B.S. in Nursing. Many nursing schools tend to look for candidates who are working in the field over those who do not.

And eventually, you may find yourself years from now wanting to do more with your B.S. in nursing. You might want to go back and become a Certified Nurse Practioner. Or a P.A. Or go into medical school. The world is open to you. Slow down and take it one goal at a time. HTH

Edited by tex-mex

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you don't yet have enough credits to have a typical high school transcript, or you don't have high-level credits, or maybe that your grades are sub-par? For one of these reasons or another reason, you would not be happy with your transcript if you graduated right now?

I think as far as your future college applications go, your grades at the CC (and your ACT/SAT if they require that) will be more important than anything on your transcript. Transcripts are just too much of an unknown, even for public schoolers.

Or is there another reason why you wouldn't want to graduate right now -- will your state pay for cc courses if they are taken during high school?

Julie

My grades are sub-par, but i also did get to do a lot of lab work with my curriculum. I would not feel comfortable going into the nursing program with my grades and lack of labs

Many nurses begin with an A.S. in nursing.

I would talk first with the cc advisor and the department head to get a better idea. I personally think you will be better off with getting your parent to issue the diploma (easily done) to put in your personal file. If you already are admitted into cc, the diploma is kind of a moot point. When you transfer to a 4 year, the cc transcript will note you graduated from high school. I would not worry about it.

There is a shortage of nurses. And not enough colleges/universities to help the shortage. Which is why you see the large amount of competition into nursing schools. I would focus right now on the goal of getting your A.S. in nursing. Take the required courses in cc with whatever level of biology, chemistry, A&P, etc.

And once you get that goal, decide on working p/t or f/t in nursing (it is flexible schedule you can work nights, weekends, once a week, etc) with the appropriate license, and finally after a year or so doing this... begin work on a B.S. in Nursing. Many nursing schools tend to look for candidates who are working in the field over those who do not.

And eventually, you may find yourself years from now wanting to do more with your B.S. in nursing. You might want to go back and become a Certified Nurse Practioner. Or a P.A. Or go into medical school. The world is open to you. Slow down and take it one goal at a time. HTH

Wow what wonderful advice, you basically just mapped out my plan!

CCs have so many different courses, i can just test the waters with nursing/health care before going into a full time nursing degree.

Thanks so much ladies for your amazing response to my questions! I will call the CC on Monday to soak up more information.

Wow what wonderful advice, you basically just mapped out my plan!

CCs have so many different courses, i can just test the waters with nursing/health care before going into a full time nursing degree.

Thanks so much ladies for your amazing response to my questions! I will call the CC on Monday to soak up more information.

My pleasure.

MIL was a high school guidance counselor. I use her past years of wisdom on your matter. :D One thing I can encourage you is to never give up. I too had a sub-par experience with my high school classes (I was told by my guidance counselor to think about secretarial school!) and coming from generations of hispanics/native americans who basically dropped out of school.

I overcame a lot of odds to be the first in my entire family to get into college. Took the ACT without studying and earned a 24 score -- for not having any math higher than pre-algebra and no sciences higher than earth science. I entered my local state university as an EOP student -- one of the 25% population where we were not regular admissions. It was a great program with an advisor/professor assigned to you with mandatory weekly meetings. I took classes like study skills to help learn how to take notes and write a research paper. And you had personalized one on one EOP upperclassmen mentor you the first year with classes and how to navigate the college system.

After 2 years at the state university, I decided that I wanted to be a teacher and chose a liberal arts degree. Transferred to a smaller private Christian University -- which I loved as the student/teacher ratio was low. I got one on one attention. The one college class that I needed lots of help was College Algebra -- the professor was wonderful and tutored me. Students helped me in study groups. One thing I loved about a small campus was the amount of support I got -- great experience!

Then took an additional year as a graduate student doing student teaching and earning a CA Clear Credential license. It took me 6 years. I had pell grants, CAL grants, scholarships, and my family could not afford to help me $$$ with college. I was on my own.

I worked full time in my last 3 years of college. I married at the age of 20 (3rd year of college) and we were Resident Counselors at my private Christian University to get free room/board. I ended up with a gpa of 3.54 when I graduated with my B.A. -- but oh my goodness, did I ever work my butt off learning so much that my high school did not teach me. ;)

Then I ended up teaching full time in Southern CA in a variety of inner city schools and realized WHY the education was poor. In my last few years of teaching, I was hired at a K-8 Charter School with a classical (rigorous - it was compared to my schooling! LOL) emphasis and loved it. I felt like this was the curriculum I should have had as a child. LOL Ironically, I was voted teacher of the year and was a district mentor. Parents always wanted their kid in my class. Got nominated to the county and state level for textbook consult in CA. Now I homeschool. I tease my special needs son he can go to college and be a success. If his "boneheaded" Mom could do it... so can he. He is getting a superior education compared to what I got in high school. (And one reason I love the WTM Boards.)

Sorry for the rambling... but I want to encourage you. You can do this. You might need some tutoring with the science classes in cc -- or join a study group for better understanding. Regardless, you will be a fantastic nurse. Schooling usually means little once you are in the workforce. You can be a brilliant genius but have the manner of a a@# if you only focus on bookwork. Your passion and determination will speak volumes with co-workers and patients. (I hope this makes sense.) For me, my passion for those students who fell through the cracks academically was my niche. I know you can succeed. :grouphug:

Edited by tex-mex