Menu

s/o: of students pursuing courses they aren't strong in...

Hunter's Moon

There is one school in my area that has everything I want.

Beautiful campus, women only (in the dorms), their ratings and graduation rates are wonderful. It also has small class sizes (avg. 17).

This school is a 4-year private college. They are pricey (at least IMO). $25,515/year, $10,440/room & board. The avg. need based award for new students is $24,000 though.

The only major they offer that I would like to pursue is Biotechnology. My issue is the classes required. I am not strong in math or science. I will be taking Chemistry over again because I had issues with it. I wonder though, maybe it is just because I was going it alone.

They require Statistics, Advanced Algebra, & Precalculus unless you test out. After that, Calc. I & II or taken. So, I think I'd be okay in the math department because I could go over it again. Chemistry & Biology worry me though. Chem. I, Chem. II, Organic Chem. I, Organic Chem. II, and Analytical Chem. are required. There are 9 Biology requirements & two Physics courses required.

I could become a Medical Lac Technologist, but I could also become a Clinical Lab Technician if I attend CC for 2 years. So, while I wouldn't be up high, I'd still make a decent amount and I wouldn't have to pay a lot for college (about $10,000 for both years). The only thing is, the CC I'd be attending isn't in a safe area, doesn't have the best ratings, and a lot of the students are immature. I assume the program I'd be in, I wouldn't have to deal with too many immature students, but still. Also, there have been two stabbings in the school within the past few years. I'm sure they were drug or gang related, but it still isn't somewhere I'd like to be. They're the only option I have for Clinical Lab Technician though.

If you knew you would probably struggle with the courses, would you still pursue it? I could get a tutor, I'd be in a group setting, I'd have teachers. So, I wonder with all those things if I wouldn't struggle.

It's just, this isn't my money. If I don't get it all covered, my parents will be helping. The pressure not to fail would be immense because it'd be a waste of their money.

I just don't know. The application process for this college began already. I think I'm going to apply anyways but I'm just worried about the course load.

What would you do or what would you advise your student to do?

Thanks.

My dd just changed her major to one that requires more Math. We didnt do much math in high school, b/c she wasnt going into Math.

But, this is a field she wants, so she is working this summer on Alg II course, then she will have College Math and Statistics. The school should offer free tutoring and she has many math friends who can help her.

I am worried b/c she is going to have to work extra hard. But, if this is what she wants , I support her.

I would recommend that you apply as long as it's not a binding Early Decision application. If it's regular decision and you have until next May 1 to decide, then that will give you time to think through your choices.

You'll be able to see what kind of financial aid they give you and whether or not it's affordable. You'll also be able to see how this coming year's classes go and think about whether you'll be able to tackle the required courses.

Given your SAT scores (which were great, BTW), I think you have a good chance of succeeding in the math and science courses you'll need. If this school becomes a serious possibility as the year goes on, you might also inquire about what kind of student helps/tutoring they have on campus that would help you through the tougher courses.

Feeling safe is pretty important, IMO, but the price has to be right, too. :) From what you've described, it sounds like there are few downsides to applying to at least give yourself that option come next May.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Stephanie, you have really good SAT scores and we can all see how hard you are trying to keep up with your courses and gain the extra credits you need to succeed in college. This is what people are looking for in a student and I am sure the college has lots of tutoring available to help you out. There are so amny students who switch their degrees and find that they can succeed in something they never thought possible! It all depends on how much faith you have in yourself, and what you can handle. Give the first option a try, and if you don't like the way things are going the first year, you can switch out and attend the local CC. Although if the area isn't safe, would an online college be a possibility until you can find the college or degree for you?

Edited by LuvingLife

My dd just changed her major to one that requires more Math. We didnt do much math in high school, b/c she wasnt going into Math.

But, this is a field she wants, so she is working this summer on Alg II course, then she will have College Math and Statistics. The school should offer free tutoring and she has many math friends who can help her.

I am worried b/c she is going to have to work extra hard. But, if this is what she wants , I support her.

I will have the support and well wishes from family and friends, so that will help.

I would recommend that you apply as long as it's not a binding Early Decision application. If it's regular decision and you have until next May 1 to decide, then that will give you time to think through your choices.

You'll be able to see what kind of financial aid they give you and whether or not it's affordable. You'll also be able to see how this coming year's classes go and think about whether you'll be able to tackle the required courses.

Given your SAT scores (which were great, BTW), I think you have a good chance of succeeding in the math and science courses you'll need. If this school becomes a serious possibility as the year goes on, you might also inquire about what kind of student helps/tutoring they have on campus that would help you through the tougher courses.

Feeling safe is pretty important, IMO, but the price has to be right, too. :) From what you've described, it sounds like there are few downsides to applying to at least give yourself that option come next May.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Thanks.

Yes, the decision is non-binding. They just have rolling admissions.

I think my biggest worry, even more than the classes, is this isn't my money. Whatever isn't covered, my parents will help with. If I decide I want to change while in college or drop out and go to CC instead, that was a waste of their money. There are so many things I can imagine myself doing. For a few years, I was set on Occupational Therapy. I dreamed of myself working day-in and day-out with young children. My hangup was, I am an introvert. It doesn't mean I can't communicate with others, I just prefer not to. I don't like confrontation on any level, but if it comes down to it, I will do what needs to be done. I worried that after a few years, I would begin to hate my job. I know there will be parents who will cause issues for me. I was also strongly leaning towards Special Education. I worked with Special Education children for a few days while I was at High School. I was doing a video project on the technology in the Special Education department and I really loved what I saw. I would want to work with younger children, but I could see myself enjoying that too. :glare:

I think when applying to this college, I will be undeclared. This college has a lot of pre-reqs to get out of the way and hopefully I can choose my major by the end of Sophomore Year. The Occupational Therapy program is a 3+2 so you get your Master's in 5 years, but if I was undeclared, it would take me 6 or 7 years to get it.

Stephanie, you have really good SAT scores and we can all see how hard you are trying to keep up with your courses and gain the extra credits you need to succeed in college. This is what people are looking for in a student and I am sure the college has lots of tutoring available to help you out. There are so amny students who switch their degrees and find that they can succeed in something they never thought possible! It all depends on how much faith you have in yourself, and what you can handle. Give the first option a try, and if you don't like the way things are going the first year, you can switch out and attend the local CC. Although if the area isn't safe, would an online college be a possibility until you can find the college or degree for you?

Thanks!

I was looking at online colleges. For Clinical Laboratory Science, that would be hard because most classes are hands-on. If I chose something non-hands on, I could probably look into online colleges. They are usually pretty pricey per credit though and I don't know if their financial aid works like a traditional college's.

Before chosing between two schools, I would suggest you think really hard about whether you want to be a lab tech, or major in biotechnology (the coursework you listed sounds pretty standard and reasonable to me for this kind of field). These are two very different career choices, with very different educational paths.

IMO, this decision should be first - and THEN you choose which school would fit your need. I do not understand why the CC in the unsafe are would be the only option if you should decide to be a lab tech - there must be other places for this as well. Likewise, I would not be swayed by beautiful campus or dorms unless ou WANTED to major in biotechnology and do the required cours work.

So, to me it looks as if you are deciding about second questions before having decided the first question: what is it that you want to study, what do you want for your profession?

If biotchnology is what you REALLY want to do, then do it, work very hard, and you'll manage. If, OTOH, you end up majoring in biotechnology half-heartedly, chances are you may not succeed when it gets hard.

Edited by regentrude

Before chosing between two schools, I would suggest you think really hard about whether you want to be a lab tech, or major in biotechnology (the coursework you listed sounds pretty standard and reasonable to me for this kind of field). These are two very different career choices, with very different educational paths.

IMO, this decision should be first - and THEN you choose which school would fit your need. I do not understand why the CC in the unsafe are would be the only option if you should decide to be a lab tech - there must be other places for this as well. Likewise, I would not be swayed by beautiful campus or dorms unless ou WANTED to major in biotechnology and do the required cours work.

So, to me it looks as if you are deciding about second questions before having decided the first question: what is it that you want to study, what do you want for your profession?

If biotchnology is what you REALLY want to do, then do it, work very hard, and you'll manage. If, OTOH, you end up majoring in biotechnology half-heartedly, chances are you may not succeed when it gets hard.

The CC would be the only option for lab tech because it is the only option available around here. There are no other schools even close offering an Associate's in Clinical Laboratory Science.

My issue is, I see myself doing everything. I'm not particularly good at one thing. I'm generally a jack-of-all-trades. I'm good at finding spelling and grammatical mistakes in writing, but I don't think I would enjoy majoring in English and becoming an Editor. I like hands-on work that requires a lot of moving around, also. I want a stable job, and I want to major in something that clearly translates to a job.

To me, it seems like the only option is the CC that offers the Associate's. I just worry it will be just like high school with the immature students and safety issues. I'm sure with the classes I'd be doing (Laboratory Chemistry, Medical Microbiology, Lab Science Technology, etc.) I wouldn't run into too many immature people because obviously if you're in those classes you chose to buckle down and be serious, but idk.

I can see myself doing many different things. Some days, I decide it's a lab technician. Other days, I feel like I want to do more. I know I would enjoy being a lab technician. I volunteer in a Pharmacy, and while a Pharmacy Technician and a Lab Technician are two different positions, the atmosphere is the same. It's all hands-on, you generally work with people you know on a daily basis, you form relationships even if you don't particularly like the person because the job requires heavy communication, you're on your feet and moving around a lot, you aren't doing one thing for hours or days on end. It is always changing.

You're right about choosing the college and not the major. I've had my heart set on that college for a few years and so when they sent me the email about open application, I really wanted to apply. But, there isn't really anything that particularly interests me at the moment that they offer.

The CC would be the only option for lab tech because it is the only option available around here. There are no other schools even close offering an Associate's in Clinical Laboratory Science.

My issue is, I see myself doing everything. I'm not particularly good at one thing. I'm generally a jack-of-all-trades. I'm good at finding spelling and grammatical mistakes in writing, but I don't think I would enjoy majoring in English and becoming an Editor. I like hands-on work that requires a lot of moving around, also. I want a stable job, and I want to major in something that clearly translates to a job.

To me, it seems like the only option is the CC that offers the Associate's. I just worry it will be just like high school with the immature students and safety issues. I'm sure with the classes I'd be doing (Laboratory Chemistry, Medical Microbiology, Lab Science Technology, etc.) I wouldn't run into too many immature people because obviously if you're in those classes you chose to buckle down and be serious, but idk.

I can see myself doing many different things. Some days, I decide it's a lab technician. Other days, I feel like I want to do more. I know I would enjoy being a lab technician. I volunteer in a Pharmacy, and while a Pharmacy Technician and a Lab Technician are two different positions, the atmosphere is the same. It's all hands-on, you generally work with people you know on a daily basis, you form relationships even if you don't particularly like the person because the job requires heavy communication, you're on your feet and moving around a lot, you aren't doing one thing for hours or days on end. It is always changing.

You're right about choosing the college and not the major. I've had my heart set on that college for a few years and so when they sent me the email about open application, I really wanted to apply. But, there isn't really anything that particularly interests me at the moment that they offer.

Stephanie you have just described how I feel. Some days I want to be a music therapist, then the next I will change my mind and want to become a photographer or history major. It can drive a person crazy. But even though the CC isn't safe, maybe that will be your best bet? The kids might be really immature but you are there to learn and the professors will notice this and will want to help you out. Also the CC is less expensive, so that sounds really good. There are going to be immarure people everywhere, it's what you make of the situation especially one that will decide your future career.

And don't be afraid to add a minor or do a double major! That way you won't be so bored with one thing.:)

I'm of the opinion that an education, if appreciated and taken advantage of, is never a waste of money. Most people I know started college without a concrete plan and many of those who had one changed their minds halfway through. Everyone has a major by junior year so at some point you make the decision. if you work hard and take advantage of all the opportunities a real college can offer- close relationships with your professors, seminar classes, exploring your options and dreaming big, maybe even some research experience- that's not a waste of money. Even if you don't emerge with a job lined up, you'll have learned a ton- both academic and non- in the process. Plus I know my mom would much rather spend money than have me go to a place where there have been stabbings and shootings. Sounds terrifying.

My advice would be to go to the regular college and take some OT pre-requisites and biotech prerequisites in the beginning. I suspect at least some bio, chem etc will overlap. At the same time, try to set up an observership of some sort with an occupational therapist in the area- even if it's only for a couple of days. Pick his/her brain about frustrating parents, difficult social situations, etc. Try to imagine yourself doing that job every single day, and keep taking pre-reqs for both majors just in case. I imagine OT will have some pretty general pre-reqs in the beginning that might help you narrow things down, too. Psychology, child development etc might even work toward special education if you're so inclined.

As for chem, I can't imagine doing it without a professor or a study group. I had both in college and while it was still tricky, it was doable. Don't underestimate the power of a really great lecturer or really helpful friends.

At the same time, try to set up an observership of some sort with an occupational therapist in the area- even if it's only for a couple of days. Pick his/her brain about frustrating parents, difficult social situations, etc. Try to imagine yourself doing that job every single day, and keep taking pre-reqs for both majors just in case. I imagine OT will have some pretty general pre-reqs in the beginning that might help you narrow things down, too. Psychology, child development etc might even work toward special education if you're so inclined.

I would do this part now. You should be able to find a hospital or private therapy clinic that will let you spend some time with OTs. Likewise with the lab tech job. Ditto biotech jobs, depending on where you live.

Something to think about: with a college degree, even in biotechnology, there are multiple paths open to you. With an AA in medical technology, you limit yourself if you later decide that lab tech is not for you after a few years.

You sound very conscientious. The children that waste their parents' money are the ones that don't give thoughtful consideration to their options and go to college "just because" and feel entitled.

The only place I know of around here that offers job shadowing is Shriner's hospital. I will begin volunteering there when I'm 18 because that is their minimum as it's burn/orthopedic. I'll ask about shadowing when I sign up to volunteer as I imagine they prefer those over 18 only.

The other hospital has shadowing but only for enrolled college students.

I'll have to see about calling around private clinics and other offices. I can't look too far though as we don't know when our car will give out :tongue_smilie: