Menu

Autistic Son - Kindergarten?

Hi!

My son was FINALLY diagnosed as being on the ASD last week. I have known for years, but it's taken this long and finally putting him in public pre-school to get the diagnosis. I went through the motions to get him an IEP but I seriously doubt that we will keep him in the system. I wanted to keep him in half-days for his therapy and they agreed to half-days because of his meltdowns, but they are putting him in a school on the other side of town and basically won't bus a half-day student.

Here's my question. He's high-functioning in most areas except for expressive and receptive speech. He will be six in September and yet his speech is only at a 3 1/2 yr. level. He also has severe ADHD. I"ve started teaching him phonics with Phonics Pathways but from all the testing, they said that whatever he is taught will need to be reinforced or completely taught with pictures. That makes sense to me because the only sound he seems to be able to remember is the "A" sound.

I've thought about MUS for math. We started using HOD Kindergarten, but that was a flop...he wasn't remembering anything that we read. I did get the Language development cards from Abeka since that covers a point on his IEP. We also have handwriting without tears, but that area doesn't seem to be a problem for him.

Does anyone have some suggestions for Reading as well as perhaps some curriculum to boost his language/cognitive skills. I also want to cover some typical Kindergarten skills but in a way that he will remember them.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you.:confused:

My son is 7 years old. He has not been dx with autism or PDD officially. He does have a speech delay. At this time he is not receiving speech therapy. I work with him at home although I will be taking him for an evaluation in order to set some goals for this coming year.

This is what we used that has worked so far. At 4 years old I started teaching him a letter a week which included phonics, handwriting, and other crafts and activities. During that time I bought Leap Frog Letter Factory and Talking Words Factory. I don't know if you have these but they worked wonders. My kids still sing the Letter Factory song to this day.

We used Hooked on Phonics which DID NOT work for him. It seems to be a good reading program but just not in our home. In March we switched to Rod and Staff Phonics and Reading Grade 1. I started with lesson one even though my kids know initial letter sounds. I am glad we did. My boys LOVE this reading program. Ds 7 enjoys pulling out the workbook and doesn't cry when it's time for reading. Rod and Staff is structured, methodical, and interesting. It tells me what I need to teach him phonetically which is a big plus. Since we started R &S he is learning to read. Check out their website if you think you are interested.

HTH!!

One thing to consider is that many public school use Direct Instruction for reading resource. The programs they use, Reading Mastery and others are by the authors of 100 Easy Lessons . If you used that he would be familiar with the terminology and markings. I also used SSRW, and Starfall & Leapfrog DVDs for reinforcment with my pdd-nos, mild mr son. He still is at a ;ate 1rst grade reading level at age 10 and started full time special ed this spring.

I recently read Stanley Greenspan's Engaging Autism - he recommends highly just what you all are doing. 1/2 day at school and 1/2 at home for academics. I hope you have a wonderful year!

We started hsing in K, but ds's speech was more age appropriate by that point. We used Before Five in a Row and Sonlight PK for lots of reading material and talked about it a lot. Ds learned his letter sounds with Letter Factory and then we started Calvert K which worked pretty well. Math was hard to find, but we settled on Rod and Staff.

We have an ABA therapist come to our house 6 hours a week and have ds in 10 hours of outside activities. That's worked out well for therapy and a social outlet.

everyone for their suggestions for Reading.

I am still wondering about any software to help his cognitive skills?

Thank you!

Learning Rx has a cognitive program for children of his age, but you have to attend a franchise location. Unfortunately PACE (same company, different delivery system) doesn't include a product for this age of child.

Dr. Stephey has a new cognitive program (Cognitive Calithesics ?), but I don't know if it covers children this young.

Learning Rx has a cognitive program for children of his age, but you have to attend a franchise location. Unfortunately PACE (same company, different delivery system) doesn't include a product for this age of child.

Dr. Stephey has a new cognitive program (Cognitive Calithesics ?), but I don't know if it covers children this young.

Where do I find out about these products?