Menu

Electronics Course -can you help?

I am thinking of putting together an electronics course for dd and ds since they are both semi-interested in this topic. I'd like it to be hands-on and add in reading and/or online tutorials, videos etc. Has anyone done this or can recommend anything? We have some Snap-circuits, not sure if this can be beefed up for high school, though.

Thanks.

My son does electronics as an extra-curricular through 4-H. They have project books which were great for middle school age. He regularly attends a workshop to learn about the annual 4-H electric project, then teaches classes in which kids assemble the "kit of the year". In the process, he has taught a number of kids how to solder.

Check out 4-H for the hands on component of your course!

Jane

www.quickstudylabs.com

There's a "younger" class using Snap Circuits (might be light for high school -- I don't really know) and an "older" class using a different kit. A friend of mine has her 12 year old doing the Snap Circuits class and finding it very good, challenging, etc. I'm considering it for DS in a year or two, when we're done with some other things.

Hope this helps!

I wonder if Christian Light Publications has something for electronics. I know they have an electrical wiring high school elective, so you might want to look. Also, Timberdoodle has something for electronics in their catalog. It looks cool, but is somewhat pricey.

HTH,

Veronica

Here are two ds used:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/ Book and worksheets

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/index.htm Accompanying website

It's a series of books and worksheets written by an electronics teacher that didn't like the textbooks he was using in class. He wrote his own stuff and made it free online. There are lots of experiments, and the worksheets are like self-quizzes with detailed answers included. There isn't any difficult math (some algebra). Ds thinks they are easy to understand (used them independently this year as a junior) and extremely thorough.

Another vote for QuickStudyLabs.

My son has been doing that class this last year, and enjoying it immensely. The classes with the snap circuits are light, but might be enough to create an interest in someone who's only semi-interested.

I have no experience yet with the high school class. I'm letting my son finish the Edison class first. But I think he's ready for the high school one. Hey, he's not demanding it, so he's not getting it yet! LOL

A word of caution for Osmosis Mom: Mr Phillips who gives the class is Christian and does not hide it. I don't think there's anything that would be offensive though. The comments are along the line of "Isn't God's Creation wonderful?" and "God created atoms so they act in certain ways". I have no clue what the Muslim approach to creation is, but what you'll find in QSL is not doctrinal. We're not creationists, and my son handled the comments well.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll look more at QuickStudyLabs. And Cleo, thanks for your comment. I don't have any problems with anyone pointing out God's creations along the lines you mentioned so it sounds OK. Thanks for thinking of me.

I did find a course with North Dakota Division of Independent Studies that I want to look further at. Oldest dd took an entomology course there years ago and loved it. They are also reasonably priced, btw.