Menu

Just finished 4yr SOTW Cycle; I have a K,3,6 - what next?

74Heaven

Hi, we thoroughly enjoyed Story of the World over the past 4 year history cycle. My high schoolers have moved on to Spielvogel. My K-er has heard CDs for 4 years and obviously is just starting a more structured curriculum (altho he *is* reading). My 3rd & 6th grader have had a pretty thorough history & geography introduction to the world. (Btw, I personally don't want to do the same thing for the next 4 years - so doing SOTW over is not an option for me.)

I am torn by what to do. The top contender is History Odyssey (p. 728 Rainbow catalog) or Veritas History. I have ruled out TOG, MOH and Biblioplan for various reasons.

I want something every bit as easy to use as Story of the World, literature-rich with a medium-to-strong geography component. Are there curriculums that are "like" SOTW in the ease-of-use, literature selections and optional activities.

I can't wait to hear your suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Lisa j- ljdeerparkATaolDOTcom

I don't know if History Odyssey would be a good fit.......it relies quite a bit on SOTW (one of the main spine texts), and if you really want something other than that, you might be running into it more than you'd like. You might look at Winter Promise, or My Father's World. They have nice "all put together" programs. Or Mystery of History. Hth,

Kayleen

The 6th grade child could do HO Level 2 (Van Loon, not SOTW is the narrative spine), and with read alouds, you could adapt it for the 3rd grader. This wouldn't help your youngest much though.

Veritas has great books suggestions - but would you be able to accomodate the different ages at once? If you can than that might be a good option. (I don't consider myself flexible enough or enough of a "natural teacher" to do that - but a lot of people are!)

Another one I can think of that might give reading suggestions at different levels would be Truthquest. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if it would give you as much "structure" as you want. (Isn't it more just a reading list?)

Let us know what you decide. I'll be in your shoes a year from now, but I haven't yet ruled out TOG or Biblioplan.

Winter Promise uses MOH, so I guess that is out, too.

Could you use CHOW, along with Kingfisher? Have 6th grader outline Kingfisher, and just show the pictures and occasionally read it to the others. Add in the appropriate literature from WTM. The idea is for the 6th grader to start doing more of a logic stage approach, but keep the others in the grammar stage. If you did not do a timeline, have the 6th grader do that, also. Another spine that's good (for the older two) is Christine Miller's adaptation of the Grueber texts. I'd just skip history for the K until next year, honestly.

Or, you could do a year of biographies, non-Western cultures (maybe Sonlight 5, or that free one on the net, or Winter Promise's Children Around the World) or straight geography (the 6th grader could probably handle Runkle, with some adaptation, and you could do maps and other activities with the two youngest using A Trip Around the World--).

Hope this helps. Let me know what you pick--I know many are interested in how to combine (or if to combine) these two stages.

and I am seriously considering switching my 6th grader to History Odyssey Pandia Press) - Level II - and adapting for my 3rd grader (with less writing - that boy hates to write :). I looked last night at the website and was *very* impressed.

ANd as Christ in VA suggested, My K-er can easily skip history next year. And thanks, I've wanted to look at the Grueber texts too.

ANd as mktkcb said, I see that HO-Level 1 won't work for us because of the SOTW spine tie in. Thanks mktkcb!

But the Level 2 HO looks very doable and easy to grab-and-go. I've long wanted to use/review the Van Loon book too. Thanks, nmoira for your advice.

As far as "integrating grade levels" I can do that on the fly pretty easily since my 3rd grader can do maps and history literature and a timeline - and I am satisfied with that for him. He (and the Ker) absorb so much info from "following along with their siblings". Also, I am keeping one SOTW book and one set of SOTW CDs - so my Ker could listen/read/do Read Alouds with SOTW w/o doing the rest of SOTW at all.

I'm even tempted to switch my high schoolers to History Odyssey's Level 3! Gotta see about that! Has anyone used the HO - Level 3 with high schoolers? It looks a bit like Omnibus - but far *less* intimidating??

Thanks again - I know why I love these boards. One afternoon/evening of posting and everything is so much clearer for me!!

Lisaj