Menu

Tips for using TOG independently?

Leslie in TN

What do you mean by independent??? I'm a little confused.. Basically, I make out a syllabus for each unit/quarter. It is basically a reading list since I often have alternate or extra resources. He puts this in the front of his notebook. I then sit down with him and give him the questions to answer for the week, maps to do, timelines to cut out ( get them from the yahoo groups). We discuss the deadlines: discussion will be Friday morning or Thursday since we are going out of town or I want the questions on my bed by 5pm Thursday, etc.

I grade their questions on a completion/effort basis and then we have our weekly discussions. That is how TOG is designed to be used... so do you want more independent than that????

Christine

Do you mean, without a co-op?

In my neck of the woods, most of my friend think they could never use TOG without a Co-op for D & R level. I tend to disagree, although it is more work on me, for sure. On the flip side, I absolutely love the discussions with my kids - they are the highlight of my week, and one of the reasons I don't want to give that privilege up.

Sorry, I realize I wasn't making myself very clear! You've all sort of affirmed what I was thinking, though.. I can make up a folder containing their reading lists and assignments for the week, and then they'll be fine to work through it until discussion time.

Sigh.. my brain just isn't working well this week. Thanks, everyone.

I make workbooks for each unit for my grammar and dialectic children. My dialectic level kids would work independently until it was time for socratic discussion.

If you haven't seen Karen's blog on TOG workbooks, please give it a visit. It was so helpful to me in setting up workbooks. (karenciavo a couple posts up - rivendell blog)

For my D student (and all of them, really) I make a workbook before each unit that includes the general information pages, reading assignment and weekly overview pages, writing assignments, student activity pages, maps, and lined paper.

We have TOG meetings on Friday afternoons so we can go over the material of the coming week, and so they can get a head start on reading if necessary (I encourage them to do at least an hour of reading over the weekend). My D student has a basic weekly schedule that she tries to follow - i.e. finish up history reading by Tues, discussion Wed., Lit. and writing by Thurs., etc. It's not set in stone, but gives her a basic structure for the week.

What do you mean by independent??? I'm a little confused.. Basically, I make out a syllabus for each unit/quarter. It is basically a reading list since I often have alternate or extra resources. He puts this in the front of his notebook. I then sit down with him and give him the questions to answer for the week, maps to do, timelines to cut out ( get them from the yahoo groups). We discuss the deadlines: discussion will be Friday morning or Thursday since we are going out of town or I want the questions on my bed by 5pm Thursday, etc.

I grade their questions on a completion/effort basis and then we have our weekly discussions. That is how TOG is designed to be used... so do you want more independent than that????

Christine

This is very helpful. I would consider this independent because the students do all the work alone and only meet with mom for discussion time. I like the timelines from yahoo groups idea. TOG is my long term goal for my two kids when they are older.