Menu

WWE...Do I need the workbook?

mom@home

I am considering purchasing WWE to use along with Writing Tales for the coming year. I was wondering if I really need the workbook to go along with it? My children are 9 and 10 so I am anticipating moving quickly through the first levels, althougth I could be wrong on that. I administered the WWE evaluation this morning and they did not do as well as I had anticipated, so I'm thinking they may need a year of WWE before we begin WT or WWS...thinking aloud here. :001_smile:

mom@home

You mean as opposed to just using the hardcover text? The text covers all four years of WWE, but it leaves the selection of literature passages to you. The workbooks have the passages already chosen. They're divided up into the teacher's guide and then the student pages. Everything you need is in the teacher pages. The student pages are convenient for any copywork, but we find that the lines are much too big. We used WWE1 last year and will be in WWE2 soon.

I have only the workbooks and not the main book! :) We are using WWE1 & 2 - I'd put your kids straight into WWE2, which is what I did for my 7yo son and it was a fairly quick transition to being able to do it well. I understand the WWE3 starts to get quite a bit more difficult.

I used the teacher text for WWE 1 and 2 and my son did both levels in 2nd grade. I bought the workbook for 3 and only did about half of it. It felt slow and redundant for my son. I'm not going to use the workbook for 4. After testing I suspect he'll end up at about the halfway point in 4 and we'll either move on to Writing Strands or Writing with Skill when he is done. If you plan to go through WWE quickly you don't need the workbook. Of course every family and child is different.

Thanks for the help. I think I will try to start out with only the WWE Teacher's Book then if I need the workbook, I can always add it. I like the idea of using literature we're already reading for copywork and dictation; in reality I may flounder at teaching that way, but I would like to try it.

I see you've made your decision, but just wanted to encourage you that you can use only the main text, especially if you going to speed it up. We used the workbooks for Level 2 and just the text for Level 3. Although it was more work for me, it worked much better for us to just use the text. I did prepare 6 weeks at a time of the narrations with questions and dictations, so that it was open and go during the week. Hope that helps and best of luck :).

I did prepare 6 weeks at a time of the narrations with questions and dictations, so that it was open and go during the week.

Pata,

How did you do that? Did you look ahead to what you would be reading in history, science or literature?

Pata,

How did you do that? Did you look ahead to what you would be reading in history, science or literature?

Mom@Home -I did that to. If I had to do it on the fly during the year I knew I would start skipping it. I went through the books we had at home and noted each selection and came up with questions. It didn't take too long. It means they won't cross over to other subjects, but frankly with the texts we are using that didn't seem too likely anyway. Plus, I can always substitute or move things around if inspiration strikes! (along with free time :))

Susan

Pata,

Yes, I plan history, science and literature at the beginning of the year, although we do change things here & there. I just use books public domain books, such as Famous Men, Storybook of Science or Fairy Tales, for the selections. I don't really like to pull from what we are actually reading because then she's seen the passage before, so I look for coordinating topics. Here' a sample of what we did for history, we were studying the Alamo using SOTW3 & Susanna of the Alamo. It's patterned after Level 3 Week 30 in the text...

33-History-From Historical Tales: America II

• Monday: 1st half of*"Heroes of the Alamo" Who arrived at the festival and what did he want? Where did Davy Crockett go? What was happening at the Alamo?

• Tuesday: When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found, in deserted houses, eighty or ninety bushels, and got into the walls twenty or thirty head of beeves.

• Wednesday: 2nd half of*"Heroes of the Alamo" Was the force at the Alamo small or large? What did they do? How did the Mexicans respond? What happened in the end?

• Thursday: Thus fell the Alamo. Like the Spartans at Thermopylae, the heroes of the Alamo did not retreat or ask for quarter, but lay where they had stood in obedience to their country's commands.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of how it can be done :).

I am wondering if I can just do it with the instructor text and the student pages. I have the workbook for year one. I am not seeing that the workbook gives me any advantage over just the consumable student pages, if I own the instructor text. I have the text for the narrations and all the instructions for the parent/teacher in the instructor text..:confused: so I think all I really need is the consumable student pages, not the whole workbook. Am I missing something ?

I am wondering if I can just do it with the instructor text and the student pages. I have the workbook for year one. I am not seeing that the workbook gives me any advantage over just the consumable student pages, if I own the instructor text. I have the text for the narrations and all the instructions for the parent/teacher in the instructor text..:confused: so I think all I really need is the consumable student pages, not the whole workbook. Am I missing something ?

The text for all the narrations isn't in the teacher's text. It's there for some, but not all weeks. Only the teacher pages from the workbook have narrations texts for all weeks.

Thanks for the help. I think I will try to start out with only the WWE Teacher's Book then if I need the workbook, I can always add it. I like the idea of using literature we're already reading for copywork and dictation; in reality I may flounder at teaching that way, but I would like to try it.

I've done it for 2 years with just the teacher's book. It can be done. The only tricky thing can be finding the particular grammatical element for the week's focus. I was usually able to find a sentence to use for copy/dictation fairly quickly, and got lazy and never preplanned. But some mornings, the right sentence eluded me for more than 5 minutes while I scanned their texts and the kids would get impatient. If you pick out your copy/dicatation sentences in advance (and not on the fly!), it's really not hard.