Menu

Incomplete Algebra 1 and transcript/credit question

My dd has struggled with math since the beginning of time. This past year in 9th grade, she began Algebra 1 using Teaching Textbooks, but it quickly went over her head.

Midway through the year, it just wasn't working. We had already tried a few other texts, and finally settled on working through the Keys to Algebra books. She has come to the end of Book 4 and it's now well into the summer.

She works so very slowly, and the abstract concepts are just so difficult for her. As a right brain thinker, it's been torture to say the least.

So now I'm looking at going back to TT Algebra 1 again from the beginning and just slugging through. I don't think we should pick up in the middle of the book, but hopefully she could start now and work quickly through the early parts.

The goal would be to get well into Geometry by the end of next summer, or maybe even finish by then, so she could do Algebra 2 in 11th grade.

I would ask if this is OK, but really, I believe we are doing the best we can, so I think whether it's OK or not is irrelevant.

My main question is how to assign her credit for the work she's done this year. She definitely put in the time and effort, she hasn't failed anything, she just didn't complete anything. She has made progress, it just isn't at the typical pace.

I can't give her Algebra credit, but I need to give her credit for something. For anyone else who has been in this situation, what would you suggest?

Do you have to assign the credit right now? If there's no one you need to report to, the information will eventually go on her transcript for applications to colleges. Transcripts can take many forms; some show exactly when the work was done, and some don't. Eventually, on the transcript, you could just put "Algebra I" and the grade she received, I would think. My dd took an entire calendar year to do Geometry; she started it while doing Algebra I and finished it while doing Algebra II. I'm not sure yet how I'll show it on the transcript, but I will show that she did Geometry and what grade she received.

HTH,

I'm in a different situation, but with a similar problem. We are removing a ds from his private school at the end of the current year (mid-July), and homeschooling him for his senior year. He possesses a fraudulent transcript that shows a full credit for algebra one. Reality = they completed 1/3 of the Saxon algebra 1 textbook. Never touched the subject since. . . . Same false transcript shows 2 years credit for geometry. Reality = by the end of this year, they will have completed around 75 of the 120 lessons in Saxon geometry textbook. Yes, you read it correctly: 2 years spent on one book, still won't complete it, and the school alleges that two legitimate credits for geometry are completed.

DS has equally fraudulent credits for science and foreign language. (A reasonable question is why on on earth would we permit such a travesty to occur. Hurl away, and that's ok. It was a "special needs" school that he has not needed for several years now, but the whole rats nest is a very long story.)

We anticipate taking an extra year for "rehab" before college. DS is ok with this. Not excited, but he prefers to do the right thing.

Your family (including your dd) may not feel open to taking additional time to complete high school, and to assigning subject credits only when they have been completed. I'll encourage you to consider this path, nonetheless.

I also would suggest locating a good resource for educational testing for your dd. If there are no learning disabilities present, that is very helpful to know. If, on the other hand, one or more are present, especially math LDs, it is extremely useful both to know that -- (helps to choose curricula which are suited to DD) -- and also is needed for obtaining accommodations for taking standardized tests (SAT or ACT), and for obtaining accommodations for tests during her college years (if she wishes to attend college). . . . We had full battery testing of our DD 2-1/2 years ago; she now is twelve. I strongly suspected that she has strong math LDs, and it was very helpful to have the hunch confirmed.

Best wishes !

I can't give her Algebra credit, but I need to give her credit for something. For anyone else who has been in this situation, what would you suggest?

Why do you need to assign her credit now?

Can't you assign her credit for algebra 1 when she has completed it?

Or do you need to have something because you are required to report it somewhere? If you absolutely must give credit now, I would just call it "Introduction to algebra". It is not a lie.

On the final transcript, I would then assign one algebra 1 credit upon completion.

The school where my SIL teaches does Algebra over two years for those who struggle. The students get a full year of math credit for each year. I would do this for your student. Give her credit for Algebra part A and next year Algebra part B or something. If she is putting in the hours she should get credit for those hours. Another option would be to call this year Pre-Algebra and next year Algebra. Either way, I'd give her credit for both knowing that is what happens in ps.

I hope you don't mind my asking what is your comfort level with this practice at the school you reference. I am surprised to hear of it elsewhere from where we are. This is what my DS' soon-to-be-former school is doing with geometry, and dh and I are furious. Our DS is perfectly capable of learning math, but is dragged down to the lowest possible level because the other students cut up and refuse to knuckle down to work. I used the word "fraudulent" in my earlier post because the work constitutes no more than one legitimate high school credit, no matter how many semesters it took to complete.

Thanks! I'm just having a conversation, not taking you on in battle. I'm seriously interested in how other parents think about the issue.

The school where my SIL teaches does Algebra over two years for those who struggle. The students get a full year of math credit for each year.

The school where my SIL teaches does Algebra over two years for those who struggle. The students get a full year of math credit for each year. I would do this for your student. Give her credit for Algebra part A and next year Algebra part B or something. If she is putting in the hours she should get credit for those hours. Another option would be to call this year Pre-Algebra and next year Algebra. Either way, I'd give her credit for both knowing that is what happens in ps.

I took Algebra in two parts back in the early 1980's. Algebra I Part 1 was a full year long class. Algebra I part 2 was taken the following year. This is nothing new. I received full credit for each year. I graduated with 3 math credits.

Since my dd did a complete algebra program for her 2nd algebra, I gave her a full algebra credit for that.

For everything we had tried beforehand, I gave her a "prealgebra" half credit, since she had completed about a half year's worth of material all total. (I go by the material and not the time in math.)

At our local public school, math she had taken in 9th was called "core plus" or something like that. So I didn't much think the name mattered.

Julie

I agree with those who are saying give her credit now. If she spent full credits worth of time on math, then she should get a math credit. You can call it Algebra I-A or Pre-Algebra or decide later.

Honestly, I think it's more important that your daughter learns math well than that she learns it fast. I'm hearing college professors from many disciplines complaining that they are getting students who have supposedly taken pre-calc and/or calc in high school and can't handle the basic algebra needed for their courses - even math and science! You are absolutely right in letting your daughter spend the time she needs to get a solid grasp of the math. Good work 'Mom'.

We've had a similar experience. Dd used Life of Fred Introductory Algebra in 9th grade. She did enough to earn a credit, but I wanted at least some mastery and understanding.

She took algebra again in 10th grade, using Lial's and did much better. I'm not quite sure how it will turn out on her transcript, but I will give her credit for the earlier work she did in Fred. The local public high school has Algebra 1 Part 1, and Algebra 1 Part 2. They are each year long courses, with a full credit for each. I'm thinking we'll work it something like that.

I'm definitely interested in this thread though!

To be honest, I think the practice is stemming from the early push toward Algebra. In that school district, all students take Algebra BY 8th grade. That means many take it in 7th and some in 8th. They put them all into the one year Algebra course, but as soon as they show signs of falling behind, the offer to move them to the two year course. They do the same with Algebra II. Her feeling is just because some kids can get through Algebra I in 7th they are not necessarily ready for the higher reasoning required for Algebra II in 9th. I would agree. If fewer were forced there at early ages, there would probably be less need for the two year paths.

I was initially horrified that the two year paths exist, but I've gotten used to the idea and see how it is saving many kids. In order to graduate, kids have to take 3 years of high school math and nothing before 9th grade counts. That puts the average and slow students doing Geometry, Algebra II, and Pre-Calc (trig, whatever) as their graduation MINIMUM. I just don't think every student can handle that. Giving a slower pace but full credit allows kids to finish Algebra I in 9th (it should be offered there to start with). They don't offer Geometry in 2 parts, so it is finished by 10th and then Algebra II can be done in 11th or 11th/12th if necessary. I think that is a more realistic option for some kids. I wouldn't want to see kids forced into that if they are capable of more, but having the option... well, it makes sense to me.

I took Algebra in two parts back in the early 1980's. Algebra I Part 1 was a full year long class. Algebra I part 2 was taken the following year. This is nothing new. I received full credit for each year. I graduated with 3 math credits.

Are you, by chance, remembering one year of algebra 1 and a separate year called algebra 2 ?

Are you, by chance, remembering one year of algebra 1 and a separate year called algebra 2 ?

No, I just typed this up somewhere else:

And I wouldn't worry about giving him extra time in algebra. I was just looking at our local schools, and my school district has "impact 3" (a hodgepodge series that includes algebra) or algebra I, intermediate algebra, and advanced algebra or honors algebra II -- so most kids take 3 years to do algebra I & II. Another (more advanced) local school district usually breaks algebra II into three segments, which are done over 1.5 years with statistics for the other 0.5 -- so most kids take 2.5 years to do algebra I & II. Based on my oldest son's experience with his unusual public school course names, I can't imagine colleges will be surprised if you have an unusual sequence, as long as it's clearly labeled and matches his testing scores.

I'm looking at my school districts current course catalog.

Algebra I Part 1 is the first course of the two-course equivalent to Algebra I.

It is given 1 elective credit.

Algebra I Part 2 completes the requirement. It is given 1 credit. Upon completion of Algebra I Part 2, the student will meet the state requirement for Algebra I.

So currently, you get one elective credit and one regular credit issued upon the completion of each of these classes.

Back in the early 80's, one credit was given for each part. I know it sounds silly, but that's how it was. Each part took a whole year of school.

Thank you, and others, for sharing detailed descriptions. Truly appreciate you all taking the time. I have no ties to outside schools, other than to the one which we are leaving, so I don't always realize how radically different the world now is. Until today, I knew only that Algebra I had been moved back to 8th grade, in order to help the U.S. try to catch up to other countries.

Now I'm interested whether homeschoolers are following -- or are starting to follow -- this stretched-out practice, or whether most still are following my dinosaur-era's insistence on completing Algebra 1 in one school-calendar year. (Algebra 2 to be completed within a subsequent "one school-calendar year")

Musing at the keyboard: If Algebra 1 were to be restored to the 9th grade, perhaps the majority of students would be developmentally ready to complete the course within just one year? (as used to be the case).

Maybe I'm just lulling the membership to sleep ! . . .

I'm looking at my school districts current course catalog.

Algebra I Part 1 is the first course of the two-course equivalent to Algebra I.

It is given 1 elective credit.

Algebra I Part 2 completes the requirement. It is given 1 credit. Upon completion of Algebra I Part 2' date=' the student will meet the state requirement for Algebra I.

So currently, you get one elective credit and one regular credit issued upon the completion of each of these classes.

Back in the early 80's, one credit was given for each part. I know it sounds silly, but that's how it was. Each part took a whole year of school.[/quote']

Now I'm interested whether homeschoolers are following -- or are starting to follow -- this stretched-out practice, or whether most still are following my dinosaur-era's insistence on completing Algebra 1 in one school-calendar year. (Algebra 2 to be completed within a subsequent "one school-calendar year")

My youngest has done 1 year of algebra, 1 geometry, and 1 year for algebra II coming up for 10th grade.

My dd did 0.5 prealgebra, 1.0 algebra, and 0.5 of algebra II. She took most of 3 years to get through those, but I gave credit according to material and not time.

But I just posted my local school districts because I think homeschool can be done in many ways and still be competitive. It's the learning that's the big accomplishment. I always remind folks that my oldest ds never had a geometry class in public school and he's an engineer.

Julie

Thank you, and others, for sharing detailed descriptions. Truly appreciate you all taking the time. I have no ties to outside schools, other than to the one which we are leaving, so I don't always realize how radically different the world now is. Until today, I knew only that Algebra I had been moved back to 8th grade, in order to help the U.S. try to catch up to other countries.

Musing at the keyboard: If Algebra 1 were to be restored to the 9th grade, perhaps the majority of students would be developmentally ready to complete the course within just one year? (as used to be the case).

Maybe I'm just lulling the membership to sleep ! . . .

I don't think two years for Algebra is becoming the common practice, nor do I think Algebra I in 8th grade is anything new. In the 80's, Algebra 1 in 8th in onbe year was the only path in the private schools I attended (If you failed that or anything else for that matter, you would be invited not to return the following year. I don't recall that ever happening, however.), and the college prep path in area public schools. Some schools were offering Algebra I in 7th... I was annoyed that my big brother got to do that in his school, but I did not at a different private school. Where we live now, across the country fro where I grew up, Algebra I in 7th, completed in one year, is the advanced track (and the gifted track can complete it even earlier), and Algebra I in 8th is the standard college prep track. If it is offered in two years at all, it is not in the college prep track, a fact that would be reflected in the guidance councilor portion of college letters of recommendation.

I also may be much older than many (most?) members here, as I was graduated from high school in 1973. My memories are from honors classes at a large (~3000 students) public high school in a major city. Different regions of the U.S. also would be a factor.

Anyway, don't mind me. I love learning "eclectica" !

My dd has struggled with math since the beginning of time. This past year in 9th grade, she began Algebra 1 using Teaching Textbooks, but it quickly went over her head.

Midway through the year, it just wasn't working. We had already tried a few other texts, and finally settled on working through the Keys to Algebra books. She has come to the end of Book 4 and it's now well into the summer.

She works so very slowly, and the abstract concepts are just so difficult for her. As a right brain thinker, it's been torture to say the least.

So now I'm looking at going back to TT Algebra 1 again from the beginning and just slugging through. I don't think we should pick up in the middle of the book, but hopefully she could start now and work quickly through the early parts.

The goal would be to get well into Geometry by the end of next summer, or maybe even finish by then, so she could do Algebra 2 in 11th grade.

I would ask if this is OK, but really, I believe we are doing the best we can, so I think whether it's OK or not is irrelevant.

My main question is how to assign her credit for the work she's done this year. She definitely put in the time and effort, she hasn't failed anything, she just didn't complete anything. She has made progress, it just isn't at the typical pace.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I still don't have a high schooler yet. But it seems like there are two separate issues.

Question one is did the student take a certain number of years of math. The number of years matters for deciding if they have met your or the state's (and maybe the college's) requirements for graduation.

The second question is what levels of math were completed. This would matter for admissions to college and/or majors programs.

What if the student were a little more behind and were taking remedial math the first year in high school. I think we would all still say that it should count as a credit of math.

The only other thing I can think of is if a reason for algebra taking longer were because less work had been done on it (for example, only doing math a couple times a week or taking frequent or long school breaks). Then I think there might be an issue of if enough hours had gone into the course to count it for a full credit.