Menu

Christa McAuliffe Online School ??

Took a look bec. there's a brick and mortar school near us with that name. Unrelated, as it turns out.

Anyhow, it's hard to tell much about it bec. there's no list of texts used. (Always a bad sign, imo, if a group doesn't post its materials up front.)

I was not at all impressed with the Middle School Math courses and Latin courses. Here's the Latin course description:

MS Latin I

Grade Level(s): 6th-8th

Students take Latin to gain a strong linguistic foundation for learning several other languages as well as for building modern vocabulary, especially in the fields of science and medicine. Students interested in language and linguistics, sciences, and medicine are encouraged to take this course. In beginning Latin; no prior exposure to the Latin language is required. Students will primarily learn to speak and understand spoken Latin, and they will also learn how to read and write basic Latin. They will gain knowledge of the ancient Latin culture and become aware of both Latin history and how Latin currently influences culture and language throughout the modern world.

MS Latin II

Grade Level(s): 6th-8th

Students continue where they left off with Latin I, building their vocabulary and refining their ability to read, write, and speak Latin. They also continue culture and history studies.

A few years ago when I looked at it the classes were all based on Compass Learning which didn't appeal. I'm not sure what it's based on now, they have changed the website. :) According to one page they use PowerSpeak for languages, the credit recovery sounds a lot like the Plato platform, so it may not have changed in that aspect.

Edited by melmichigan