Menu

What color would you paint a very small hall

you take two big steps and you are at the bathroom. The room before going into the hall is like a light butterscotch color and the stairs wall and a wall in the room is a maroon. The bathroom is a rich red(sort of)

I love green. Would it be to much to paint the hall a green..like a sage?

I think if you did a light sage color it would be fine. I would get some samples if possible to see how it looks in different lighting. Sage can get really "minty" looking if you're not careful. I would also use a satin to get a more reflective quality.

I think if you did a light sage color it would be fine. I would get some samples if possible to see how it looks in different lighting. Sage can get really "minty" looking if you're not careful. I would also use a satin to get a more reflective quality.

I agree with sampling anything you're seriously considering. Personally, I opted to keep my halls neutral (Canvas Tan to be exact) and highlighting color in the separate rooms. For instance, my halls are 1/2 the formula of the main room off of them. For me, it made things seem balanced, somehow. However, to each his own and there is nothing to say that your sage in your hallway would not look absolutely lovely!

I have almost always lived in apartments to this point! The idea of being able to even have this thought is exciting....go bold....it's a hallway...if you like green...what about grass or Granny Smith green. I like bright, happy colors. If you are going down a hallway, you may as well notice it!:D

you take two big steps and you are at the bathroom. The room before going into the hall is like a light butterscotch color and the stairs wall and a wall in the room is a maroon. The bathroom is a rich red(sort of)

I love green. Would it be to much to paint the hall a green..like a sage?

Regardless of color, I would think of lighting (natural). Even a really small hall can be incredibly dark, so I wouldn't use a dark color in there.

I generally try to keep halls as "lead-in" colors, and more neutral. Whereas my rooms tend to have the color.

That said, our front foyer is a deep wine color, but I'm not changing it as we have stained glassed windows that also have deep wine colors in there as well -- so the rooms off that foyer are more neutral (as they are open to full view to and from the foyer). My other halls and stairwells though are neutral with the colors being in the rooms.

I have an added benefit in that I only 2 rooms in the house that do not have windows so I can paint some rooms quite dark. . .

but I do think that cohesion is the optical illusion for size. Shades of the same color really draw the eye. I'm afraid if you have that many different colors, it will make things seem boxy, thus smaller. So, maybe a lighter shade of your butterscotch? Maybe a darker shade? Maybe the same color would look different in a different room?

but I do think that cohesion is the optical illusion for size. Shades of the same color really draw the eye. I'm afraid if you have that many different colors, it will make things seem boxy, thus smaller. So, maybe a lighter shade of your butterscotch? Maybe a darker shade? Maybe the same color would look different in a different room?

My thoughts run similar to yours. I would go with the lighter shade of butterscotch to brighten up an area that can tend to be otherwise dark yet also bring "cohesion" to the house as a whole.