Menu

Tried and true pizza dough recipe

Does anybody have a tried and true pizza dough recipe that they would be willing to share? I don't have a heavy-duty mixer, so it would need to be one that can be mixed by hand.

Also, if anyone has a T&T recipe for whole wheat pizza dough crust, I'd love to have it, too.

Thanks,

Kim

I've tried Pioneer Woman's pizza dough a few times now, and I think it's awesome for someone without a mixer or bread machine. It mixes very easily by hand and doesn't require any kneading.

I bake on a pizza stone with the oven @ 500 degrees, though, so YMMV on a pan. She says it's good on a pan, but my SIL wasn't impressed when she tried it that way. And she can stretch it all she wants; I used my rolling pin! I made three crusts out of the recipe, two thin ones that came out nice and crisp, and a thicker one that was nice and sturdy but not too chewy. If you're looking for fluffy this might not be your recipe.

3/4 cup warm water

1-1/2 tsp yeast

pinch of sugar (I use brown)

1-1/2 tsp olive oil

1-1/2 cups flour plus more for kneading

More oil

Corn meal

Flour

Proof yeast in sugar water. Add oil. mix into flour. Kneed on well floured surface until well mixed and firm. Lightly coat dough ball and bowl with oil. Cover with wet tea towel. Let sit until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours depending on temp and humidity.

Put pizza stone in center of oven. Preheat oven to 500F. Punch down divide into two. Roll or stretch to about 10" in diameter. Place on baking sheet coated in flour and corn meal. Shake side to side to make sure it isn't sticking. Assemble toppings, shaking to keep from sticking. Slide onto the pizza stone.

Cook 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

I am NO help if you don't have a pizza stone, or don't like thin crust.

I make pizza dough by hand every Friday night. No recipe, just by feel.

4 cups flour in a big bowl, add a T salt, granulated garlic, maybe some dried herbs. 2 cups warm water, 1 T sugar, 1 T yeast in a measuring cup, mix it and let it proof to a good head of foam.

Pour the wet into the dry, add a glug of olive oil if you feel like it, mix with your hands. Turn it out onto the counter and knead a cup or two more flour in.

I usually hack it up into 5 individual chunks, make them into balls, cover and let rise. When you're ready, shape them, top them, and throw them on the grill. (a sideless cookie sheet with cornmeal helps here) If you're baking, use a greased cookie sheet.

Sigh. Then I go make my GF pizza. :glare:

I've tried Pioneer Woman's pizza dough a few times now, and I think it's awesome for someone without a mixer or bread machine. It mixes very easily by hand and doesn't require any kneading.

I bake on a pizza stone with the oven @ 500 degrees, though, so YMMV on a pan. She says it's good on a pan, but my SIL wasn't impressed when she tried it that way. And she can stretch it all she wants; I used my rolling pin! I made three crusts out of the recipe, two thin ones that came out nice and crisp, and a thicker one that was nice and sturdy but not too chewy. If you're looking for fluffy this might not be your recipe.

:iagree: This is my favorite pizza recipe. I can even add half ww flour and it still comes out great.