Menu

Can anyone compare Spelling Power with How to Teach Spelling?

The workbooks for HTTS are not required. In fact, at the beginning of the TM, it explains how to have your kids set up their own spelling notebook. However, I find the workbooks to be extremely helpful. They lay out an order for your lessons, provide words that you can use as your spelling list, and tell you which page of the TM to find the words, phrases, and sentences to use as dictation. If you are really comfortable with pulling things together on your own, then you could get by without the workbooks. I just needed a little more open and go!

ETA: I haven't used Spelling Power so I can't compare the two.

I don't know about HTTS, but Spelling Power has worked wonders for us and now my children say that Spelling is their favorite subject. My oldest started out as struggling to spell at a second-grade level, but by the end of the year, Spelling Power had taught her some patterns of spelling and built her confidence since she didn't have to work on words she spelled correctly the first time. She ended up testing at a fifth-grade spelling level (and no we hadn't gone up to that in the spelling lists...we had just finished the second-grade word lists). I am so thankful we found that book because she was forgetting how to spell words a few weeks after we did them with the old spelling things we used and then she would cry because she knew she had learned that word and now couldn't remember it. Going through all the steps of studying a word (look at the word carefully making sure to notice anything special about it, say it out-loud, write it really big with your finger, close your eyes and visualize the word and spell it, so forth) has really made all of the difference to her and seems so easy too. :-D Hope this helps and good luck!