Menu

Is Yesterday's Classic e-book offer worth it?

wonderfilled

After years of looking down on Kindles and other e-book readers, I finally broke down and decided that they make a lot of sense, especially since we are missionaries and spend most of our time overseas. The convenience of being able to carry hundreds of books back and forth easily and the added benefit of being able to buy a book and have it available instantly (instead of waiting for months) won me over. And soon I'll be able to check out library books. Imagine. :)

I won't have my Kindle for another month, but I'm looking for good books to put on there. I was hoping to use it for mostly free books, but I noticed Yesterday's Classic's offer. I know a lot of these books are available for free, but I was wondering if the formatting and convenience are worth it. Is the formatting worth the price? Are there pictures in Yesterday's Classic's e-books that aren't in the free books? I guess I could wait and check out some of the free books and a sample from Yesterday's Classics and compare, but I'm impatient and wonder what others think. Thanks.

Thanks Lizzie, Maybe since the Kindle is a gift I can spend money on the books. :001_smile:

I want something that is formatted attractively so that the books will get read. I'm afraid if I get free books that the formatting might make it less desirable to read the books. You know what I mean? I have no experience, though, so I appreciate any input.

I wouldn't do it. I don't find the formatting to be much of a big deal for me for most free books. Every now and then there is a letter that got put in wrong or something, but it's not too bad, usually. In fact, I've only deleted one free book because of formatting, and it was because it was a poem that had all the lines mushed together. What I would recommend is trying a few regular free books and see if they bother you first. That's a lot of money to spend on something that may be unnecessary when you could spend it on books that aren't available for free. But that's just me. I have over 200 free books on my Kindle, so that's just my experience so far.

I know it is a lot of money. I keep going back and forth. I want my books to have pretty covers and pictures and a linked table of contents, but if I'm willing to overlook that I can put the money towards books I can't get for free, or even real books.

I guess I do need to try out a few free e-books and see how I like them. I just finished downloading Kindle for my computer so I can try some out.

I just finished downloading fifty famous stories by James Baldwin (for free from Google) and I see that it does have a linked Table of Contents. I don't see any pictures, though. Do any of the free e-books come with pictures? I also downloaded The Dutch Twins from Yesterday's Classics and I love all the pictures it has.

I guess I didn't get a Kindle for picture books, but an occasional picture is a plus.

Also check MobileRead.com. In the forums they have an ebook library with a PRC section (Kindle). Their books are formatted by ebook lovers who take the time to do a very nice job with linked tables of contents, illustrations, and proofreading. Their versions are often better than Google Books or Gutenberg. I don't know which of the Yesterday's Classics are available there, but do look.

I'm mixed on this. My daughter has a Kindle and I have a Nook Color. We do AmblesideOnline. I love these free books, however, I have found it is hit or miss on the formatting. I used to think this package from Yesterday's Classics was silly; now, I'm not so sure. I'm considering purchasing it myself. *I* can get around in the free books, though its sometimes a pain, but my kids have a little bit harder time (not a ton, but a little).

Another site you might want to look at that keeps the pictures in place and, I think, all of the books are $1.99 for Nook, Kindle and a PDF file:

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php

Good luck in your decision,

I'm mixed on this. My daughter has a Kindle and I have a Nook Color. We do AmblesideOnline. I love these free books, however, I have found it is hit or miss on the formatting. I used to think this package from Yesterday's Classics was silly; now, I'm not so sure. I'm considering purchasing it myself. *I* can get around in the free books, though its sometimes a pain, but my kids have a little bit harder time (not a ton, but a little).

Another site you might want to look at that keeps the pictures in place and, I think, all of the books are $1.99 for Nook, Kindle and a PDF file:

http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php

Good luck in your decision,[/quote

:iagree: I forgot to mention this site!

I do have the whole collection on my Kindle and love it. We use the readers (primary through third, I believe) for reading practice and literature. I think some of the books are suggested in SOW, but now that I will start TOG Y2, I am thrilled to see quite a few Yesterday's Classics books on their primary resource list. No more money to spend here.:001_smile:

Also, Lisa from Yesterday's Classics is extremely helpful. I had asked her whether a list existed with the books ordered by suggested reading age, and she quickly generated one for me. The books go all the way up to high school level and will certainly be very much worth the investment because we will be using them until graduation.

For me, it's worth the money.

I bought these for the kindle 6 months ago and have really liked them. It was worth it to me because I don't have the time to hunt down the free books and it's nice having them organized all in one place. We've since got an Ipad and YC linked me to the EPUB set as well.

Also check MobileRead.com. In the forums they have an ebook library with a PRC section (Kindle). Their books are formatted by ebook lovers who take the time to do a very nice job with linked tables of contents, illustrations, and proofreading. Their versions are often better than Google Books or Gutenberg. I don't know which of the Yesterday's Classics are available there, but do look.

This looks great! Thanks.

Also, Lisa from Yesterday's Classics is extremely helpful. I had asked her whether a list existed with the books ordered by suggested reading age, and she quickly generated one for me. The books go all the way up to high school level and will certainly be very much worth the investment because we will be using them until graduation.

Would it be too much trouble to send this to me? I'd love to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am bumping this because today (the 16th) is the last day to purchase. This thread was extremely helpful to me in making my decision - I also LOVE the other 2 links that were suggested. I am new to using ebooks in schooling so these links were great!!

Thanks!