Menu

Who has read Gospel-Powered Parenting?

I just finished this book a few weeks ago. They are reading and discussing it in the small groups at my son's church (Soveriegn Grace, if it matters). I have read a lot of parenting books over the years (my oldest is 29) and it's one of the better ones, imo.

I found some things in it I liked, but a lot I didn't. The thing I disagreed with the most was his attitude that if you didn't do things his way it was less Christian or Biblical. I strongly disagreed with his stance on spanking, for example. However, I would have been ok with a chapter on spanking that allowed for the possibility that someone could be a Christian and not spank. I also remember thinking that his view of the gender roles were too strict. It's been awhile since I read it but I remember feeling that I wished it was much less legalistic and more open to grace. There were some interesting nuggets in there but the overall tone made it hard to find them.

I'd be very, very hesitant about any book that insists that Christian parents must spank their children and are irresponsible/negligent in their duties if they don't. I've found that this rules out many (although certainly not all) Christian parenting books.

It is in a stack of books to read. One of our pastors read it and recommended it. (He has 5 grown children.) From what I saw it looked good. But, as I say, I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure what the book's stance is on spanking. I'm not anti-spanking but I don't like it as a first choice either. I thought the author's approach was getting through to a child's heart rather than focusing solely on behavior and presenting the Gospel to your dc. We also attend a Sovereign Grace church so I'm sure that colors my perspective on parenting. :)