Menu

As we prepare for a new school year,

let’s share what has been worth doing academically with our children to date.

Reading: I See Sam Readers, Recipe for Reading

Spelling:Apples and Pears

Grammar:Abeka Lang 1..finished, now Primary Language Lessons (My dtr is 9 but working at a lower level

Writing:Primary Language Lessons

Handwriting/Typing:copy work, handwriting workbooks, Dance-Mat typing from BBC

Math:Cuisenaire rods, Abeka math 1&2, Developmental Math 1-4..will move to CLE math

Geography:visuals, map workbooks

History:Follow MODG's 3rd grade syllabus ..very Charlotte Mason approach

Science:Abeka 3..

Musicuugh..try to get my older kids to teach her some piano, recorder

Art:Draw Write Now series

Health:Abeka 3's book

PE:track, pilates with Mom, tap and ballet..still working on bike riding and swimming

Misc.

What skills are you finding it difficult to find the right resource/angle for? for her timing, rhthym..would love Interactive Metronome but there is no provider in area. In the meantime I am paying my oldest to help her with Dance Dance Revolution:001_smile:

auditory memory ..I ordered a workbook (see below) and will see if I get any results with that. Visual memory we are still working on using her computer program from VT

Expressive language issues..even SLP gets frustrated with this..hoping if we can stretch her auditory memory we can get better results.

What therapies have had a significant impact?OT w/therapeutic listening(sensory and dyspraxia issues), Vision therapy this year, speech, resource room at the public school (great special ed teacher who encourages me and supports me and my dtr) home things I have done: LiPs, Earobics, Exercises from Dr. Rosner's book..and this June I am using these two books http://www.achievepublications.com/auditorysequentialmemory.html

http://www.achievepublications.com/VisualDiscriminationworkbook.html/QUOTE]

let’s share what has worked academically with our children to date. This is for my 9 yo.

Reading LiPS, then 100EZL, then Barton

Spelling Barton

Grammar Oral Language Exercises from Abeka

Writing Letting her have an email account, writing letters to friends who have moved away.

Handwriting/Typing StartWrite, Cursive, using a slant board

Math Right Start

Geography

History We used Veritas Press because of the short lessons, but she prefers Story of the World

Science

Music Piano Lessons

Art Outside Lessons

Health Life

PE Bike riding and trampoline, Wii Fit

Misc.

What skills are you finding it difficult to find the right resource/angle for? Expressive language skills beyond social conversation

What therapies have had a significant impact? Speech and language therapy, occupational therapy including Therapeutic Listening Program and Interactive Metronome. If meds count as therapy, concerta is wonderful for helping her focus, but she doesn't take it anymore because she complained it made her stomach hurt.

let’s share what has worked academically with our children to date.

Reading: Barton Reading and Spelling, LiPS, Seeing Stars "star word" list for fluency

Spelling: well...based on standardized test scores and my son's attempt at writing paragraphs, I probably shouldn't be giving spelling advice. He improved, but there's such a long way to go. sigh.

Grammar: ? see above

Writing: ? see above

Handwriting/Typing: Callirobics, a weighted glove and fountain pens, plus writing the alphabet daily,

In the earlier years, sandpaper letters and building the alphabet out of clay and play dough.

Math: Memorize the Times Tables in Minutes, plus Singapore math and various math manipulatives.

Geography: a globe, travel, and sight seeing. (not that we travel much, but we've done a little)

History: "Living History" stories read out loud. Watching the history channel with dad, especially war documentaries.

Science: experiments, hands on activities with related discussions. Dad and mom with science backgrounds comfortable discussing science.

Music: piano lessons

Art: having lots of art supplies, including rock crayons, triangle crayons and lots of paper

Health

PE: sports, exercise related to sports

Misc.: I've been thinking a lot lately about the role that our church has played in educating my son, (aside from just spiritual benefits.) Our services include movements, multi-sensory activities, memorized prayers, active listening with standard responses, etc. As I've delved into learning about special education, I'm seeing some of those ancient traditions we do at church in a new light. I think they can benefit his brain and not just his soul.

What skills are you finding it difficult to find the right resource/angle for? Pulling spelling, grammar and writing all together into paragraphs and stories. I believe I've found the right resource and now I just have to do it. Dragging my feet. Dreading it.

What therapies have had a significant impact? LiPS. And Barton. We did/do these at home. Like Shari, I'm reading and learning a lot of these things on my own through books. The therapies my son has recieved hardly compare to what some of you have done.

Edited by merry gardens

Reading - Scottish Rite Reading for Dyslexics

Spelling - haven't made it there, will begin AAS this year.

Grammar - Winston Grammar

Writing - haven't addressed that yet :001_unsure:

Handwriting/Typing - HWT, but still need to teach cursive

Math - Doing fine with BJU math now. Used MUS and R&S in the past and liked those.

Geography - another not taught

History -another not taught yet

Science - BJU and lots of videos and experiments

Music - not done although want to start private lessons this fall

Art - takes private classes with other homeschoolers locally

Health - Abeka

PE - just involved in lots of outside activities like bowling, football, swimming

Misc. - that is just what we call LIFE :D

Sure. Evaluating for Excellence is the first book I read that made sense to me for thinking outside the box in assigning grades to my son's work.

My ISBN is 1893103048 if you want to look it up on Amazon or Bookfinder.

I'll add that the author is Teresa Moon. The ISBN was very helpful as there is another book with the same title.