Menu

Question about paypal

I feel really lucky to have been able to purchase to many things through the forum.:)

I typically use the "purchase" option rather than the "personal" option. At one point someone had said that was the only way to do anything as a buyer if you did not receive the items you bought. Though I generally assume that if they wanted to do personal they would specify, I do always ask what the seller's preference is,

All my transactions have been great.:) Do I need to always be asking the preference? What do you all do? I have never sold anything, so I'm wondering if there are general guidelines everyone goes by, or if I should just continue asking on a case by case basis...which I will probably do anyway because I would hate for someone to expect one thing and have me do the other.

Personally, I don't ask. If they haven't stated that they will only take a purchase made with the 'personal' option, then I assume I am free to use the 'purchase' option. If they do state that they will only take a payment made with the 'personal' option, I keep looking.

As a seller, I leave that choice up to the buyer. I don't state any requirements in my fs posts. When asked my preference I say, "It's up to you," or something similar.

I recently bought something for very little money, used the 'purchase' option, and figured the paypal fees on the online paypal calculator and included them in the price per my own suggestion - so that's an option too.

As a seller, the price I quote includes the mailing & Paypal 'purchase' fees. I state that in my ads.

As a buyer, I would prefer that sellers do the same. I like seeing the price & knowing it's the full price, rather than the price + I still have to add postage + I still have to add Paypal fees.

I don't purchase items through the Paypal 'personal' option.

I use the purchase tab on paypal. I'm fine with adding in a little extra for the fees if the seller makes that request. I generally avoid "personal" transactions--especially for $$ purchases--because there is no protection for the buyer in those situations.

I use the purchase option, but always include extra for the fees. This way the seller is getting the full amount, but I'm getting the paypal benefits of a purchaser.

When I sell items, I generally figure the PayPal fees into my asking price, or ask the buyer to include an extra $x.xx to cover PayPal fees. I usually say I'll accept PayPal OR a money order. I figure there's not much difference in the amount of PayPal fees I aske them to include and the cost of purchasing a money order at the post office.

Edited by ereks mom

As a seller, the price I quote includes the mailing & Paypal 'purchase' fees. I state that in my ads.

As a buyer, I would prefer that sellers do the same. I like seeing the price & knowing it's the full price, rather than the price + I still have to add postage + I still have to add Paypal fees.

:iagree:

This is what I would prefer as well. I saw someone post recently that they got "hit with fees" from a buyer, and it made me think that maybe sellers weren't expecting to pay the fees. I suppose I'll just continue to ask.

As a buyer I also like knowing shipping is already included in the price.