Menu

Nice towns within 1 hr of Boston?

Walden Pond, Concord, MA

Plymouth, MA, America's Home Town -- beaches, shopping, Plimoth Plantation

I think Plimoth Plantation is boring. It wasn't the first time I went, about 25 years ago, but it was when we went there about six years ago. I don't know what changed -- either it did (maybe after the big fire that killed so many animals) or I became more interested in beaches than education.

Book: 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Boston: Including Coastal and Interior Regions, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island

http://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Within-Miles-Including-Hampshire/dp/0897326369

Edited by RoughCollie

Salem, MA--historic area, House of 7 Gables, shopping, walking

Rockport, MA--lovely coastal town for walking/shopping

Newburyport, MA--coastal town, shopping/walking/good dining

Merrimac/Amesbury MA area has nice hiking trails

And I agree with other posters, Plimoth is worth the trip.

I agree that Plymouth would be a great and easy(ish) trip. MA driving can be a pain. You can even dip your toes in the ocean in Plymouth. It's nicely walkable (you would drive to the 'plantation' aka English Village and Wampanoag Homesite, and then drive to the harbor area, where you can see Plymouth Rock, Mayflower II, walk around the little shops etc with ease. I also find it a fairly easy area in which to drive, although it can be quite crowded in summer. There are some good places to eat as well. If your kids like Mexican, there is a Sam Diego's (on Main St. "A Block from the Rock" ) which is fun and casual, and not too costly.

Plimoth Plantation is wonderful-- lots of running around room, chickens, heirloom breed animals, great views, and the Wampanoag Village is a nice treat. It's small, but the kids would learn a lot. It's all very interactive.

Mayflower II is always fun for the kids.

www.plimoth.org/what-see-do

Edited by LibraryLover