Menu

Abandoned hobbies and guilt: Anyone else struggle with this?

I have other things that I enjoy doing hand piecing, hand applique, knitting. I do work at those now and again as they are small, easy to take with me and easy put away when needed.

I am 62 1/2, I have my two youngest for hopefully another 6-8 yrs. I figure when I get close to 70 I will have all the time in the world to do those more entailed projects.:lol:

Well dread would be a good sign you were definitely over something! :lol:

I tend to dread the handwork others seem to enjoy. I must be missing that part of the female chromosome (and somehow got miss-wired with the power tool one.)

I think when something becomes an obligation, it sucks the joy out of it. Another poster mentioned sewing diapers. I used to run a diaper business, and have made hundreds of the things. The repetition got to me. Once you become a production worker, it's no longer a fun creative pursuit.

I try to stick to one of a kind items now in *any* hobby I take on. I'm currently procrastinating on a second bookshelf for dd's room. It's just like the first one (of course) and the muse is gone. :001_rolleyes:

Jessie Wise made a comment about this in WTM about some rug project. I think she said she is glad she homeschooled, even though she missed out on the rug.

I also remember a section on this in It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh. He felt there was tons of craft clutter and guilt. He advocates throwing it all out.

I am definitely in this camp, struggling.

I agree. I used to run a custom embroidery business. I sold the 6 needle machine, thread, everything a year and a half ago and got rid of the guilt. I have cleaned out black garbage bags of fabric and craft supplies and donated them to good will and nursing homes. I feel better that it is gone because now I don't feel guilt with it staring me in the face and thinking it is going to waste.

I held on to the sewing machines and I do use them every so often. I have been teaching my 2 oldest to sew which helps too. I still have a lot but it gets better and better.

Can you incorporate the machines and teach your kids how to sew? Even boys should be able to fix a button and sew a few basic seams (more is ideal).

Can you incorporate the machines and teach your kids how to sew? Even boys should be able to fix a button and sew a few basic seams (more is ideal).

This is a good idea. All but the smallest have been allowed to use the machine at some point.

My oldest was about 8 when he took an interest and made a tee shirt & shorts from a Kwik Start pattern (those easy beginner patterns kwik sew makes).

DS 14 has helped with a thing or two--but not for a LONG time. Mostly he has just sewed on paper.

DD has done bits and pieces here and there, but I need to find something she can do all by herself.

Littlest is a bit young yet, but he is a pretty laid back kid for a 7 yo, so maybe soon.

Hmmm...

I'm annoying myself with my knitting challenge, because it feels wrong to do any other craft while I have an unfinished knitted square awaiting my attention. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take me until about the 26th of each month to finish it because I'm so slow and I really don't like knitting.

:rolleyes:

Rosie

I just have to ask, if you don't like knitting, why are you torturing yourself?:lol:

I just have to ask, if you don't like knitting, why are you torturing yourself?:lol:

1. I'm convinced it is good for my character.

2. My grandmother would win awards at the show if she entered, and her brother taught her to knit using two 4" nails and a ball of string. She is so good she wasn't allowed to compete in knitting party games (seriously :confused::lol:) because she always won.

3. I like to give my kids something handmade each Christmas and I have the cutest ever knitting book (which I bought before I learned to knit, what of it?:rolleyes:) and intend to knit a castle each for the kiddos for the year before we start SOTW2. So, a sampler this year, which will become a doll blanket for dd and next year I'll start those castles. Except I hate the pattern in the book so I have to learn enough to know how to change it.

4. I'm crazy.

5. I might like it if I get good at it.

:D

Rosie

P.S All of you on sewing binges will post on my end of June crafters thread, won't you?

Edited by Rosie_0801

Yabbut...fabric goes out of style, too. My grandmother left a lot of fabric that I am sure was very popular in her time...but now, not so much. I wish it had been liberated in its time...and I have to think about my own fabric, dating dating dating in the shelves.

Yeah, it does. It sometimes also does not age well. Which is why I will be sending a good bit of it on it's merry way.

As my kids get older, I need to clear out the juvenile styles as well.

Overall though, I don't tend to buy trendy fabrics, so much of it has good staying power. I have a lot of good corduroy, interlocks velour etc. in solid colors and some nicer fleece. (My favorite season to sew for has always been fall.).

'She who dies with the most fabric wins."

:rolleyes:

Rosie

We have that saying around here too. A friend and fellow coworker when I did professional alterations for a bridal salon gave me a mug with that saying on it. It has to be over 20 years old and I still use it and think of her.