Menu

Scripture Memory SYSTEMS

Hunter

For those of you who use a SYSTEM, which one did you pick and why? I'm looking at Navigators and 100 Memory verses. Memlock looks like it is going out of print and all the NIV materials are sold out?

I've been reading so much, and with my memory loss issues I'm cloudy about a lot of it :-( But one site said we should MEDITATE on scripture in our curricula instead of trying to memorize it, because it is not set up for review. That we should use a SYSTEM for MEMORY. Also one site said not to worry about whether our system Bible version matches our current curriculum or reading Bible. Integrating memory work with curricula sounds so good, but I do think that hasn't been working for me.

With my memory loss I need to really attack this with the best resources possible as the amount of review required for me is pretty overwhelming. One of my past social workers jokingly called me "teflon brain" saying everything that hit it, slid right off.

No one curriculum seems to have music, pictures, mnemonics, cards and apps :-(

We use the Charlotte Mason system of scripture memorization. You can read about it here.

We also link copywork / penmanship with the scripture we are learning. That way it brings more of our senses into play when memorizing.

My kids and I have learned 17 portions of scripture this year without trying real hard. Many of them were just one verse but several were between two and six verses.

Same as PP, we use the system shared by SCM, only we altered it slightly so that we only have the 5 working days vs all days of the week. It was FREE and you can add ANY version of Bible to it that you want. That was a double bonus for us. It cost like $2 to get it going. :D

We add Bible Trivia cards and other tidbits that are Bible based to it. :D

What really works for me is memorizing BIG chunks of scripture. We are working Philippians this year and have twelve verses memorized from chapter 1 (we started in mid-late April). I can't keep track of a whole bunch of discrete, individual verses. I get more bang for my buck by memorizing longer passages. I also have several psalms memorized in their entirety - 1, 2, 23, 127, 128, a good chunk of John chapter 1, a good chunk of Genesis chapter 1, and a few odds and ends (single verses I've picked up here and there), but try longer passages, it really helps.

Yep, another thumbs up for the CM memory system here too. I've got a box for me & another for Monkey, and I recently decided to put our memory work for school - poems, emergency contact info, names of pharaohs etc - in a binder done along the same lines. Now all I need is to remember to DO them.:D

I decided to go with 100 Bible Verses. I finally figured out how to pay once, but get the app on both my ipad and ipod. I bought the 100 verses app and paid the extra for the NIV add on. I also got the Kindle version of the book.

I've decided to use the NIV, because I want to do a lot of copy work, and I find the KJV punctuation awkward for copywork.

I was laughing as I read the book, and the author was asking rhetorical questions about what he expected people to be remembering every day and saying if someone could remember these things, they could memorize scripture. I can't consistently do the things he mentioned :-0 But I think I can memorize scripture if I settle on a small closed and well rounded collection, that I try to integrate it into all my studies.

SOW curriculum has a chart of 22 virtues and their opposites. I use that chart extensively in most of my studies. I want a closed set of scripture to do something similar with.

100 Verses is a very inspiring book. The author mentions reading a book that I read as a teen and have never forgotten, about a POW camp where the inmates wracked their brains for scripture they had memorized as children and tapped the verses out in morse code to the other men all in solitary confinement. I raised my boys discussing that book and they memorized scripture without complaining for fear that I would yet AGAIN talk about the POWs. It was easier to just do the work than listen to a mom that was not going to budge and tell the same old story over and over.

The author also mentions As a Man Thinketh and how what we sow for seeds is what will grow in our thoughts. There is something to say for the Learned Optimism approach...but...life isn't always that easy. But...it does HELP. And the book was written to encourage scripture memorization, not give an accurate explanation of the results of trauma on people.

I'm frustrated with the lack of prepared NIV cards :-( There are free KJV and Holman cards, but no NIV cards for any price. I like the selection better than the Navigators though, and the book and study guide are really helpful in making each topic...I don't have the word. But when I look at the scriptures in the topic, it is just like memorizing a single long portion. There is flow.

This really is a SYSTEM. I hope it turns out to be as useful as the SOW chart in referencing and meditating on and applying to EVERYTHING.

I don't know how to make a playlist on my ipad, but will have to seek out help, so I can collect whatever odd scripture songs I can find for the verses. I think I can eventually do 100 verses if I attack this aggressively and with as many resources as possible.

Thank you everyone for the tips and links. I am going to need to make a memory box. The app is handy for pulling out when I'm stuck somewhere waiting when I haven't prepared, but I really need to make up a set of 100 cards, and carry them with me.

Lately I've been listening to scripture music while reading through a stack of cards on the train, and it has been a good method for efficient learning. It's not working thought to just memorize what the CD has on it, rather than a strategic SYSTEM. I'm too disabled for such a disorganized approach. I need a topical approach with a small closed complete system.

I downloaded the Fighter Verse app last month, but it has it's quirks and the hardcopy items can't be mailed to a PO box, so I got distracted. I need to take a better look at what they have.

Are the verses set up as part of an organized topical system? Even if it is an organized system, I think it might be too large for me to handle.

The more I read of 100 verses the more impressed I am.

I wonder if keyword symbols will help in memorizing verses. Has anyone used keyword marking?

http://preceptcamden.com/key-word-symbols/

I need my system to be small/tight, and to use as many senses and parts of body and brain as possible. Bite off a small chunk and review, review, review, meditate, meditate, meditate, draw, act out, sing, review, review, review, apply, apply, apply, review, review...

I downloaded the Fighter Verse app last month, but it has it's quirks and the hardcopy items can't be mailed to a PO box, so I got distracted. I need to take a better look at what they have.

I have not had any problems with it. Humm.

Are the verses set up as part of an organized topical system? Even if it is an organized system, I think it might be too large for me to handle.

It is large. There are 52 verses (actually most are short passages of 2-3) a year for 5 years (the years are called sets.. as in set A, Set B etc.) . You could just part of them ... and then when ready do the next set etc.

The more I read of 100 verses the more impressed I am.

I wonder if keyword symbols will help in memorizing verses. Has anyone used keyword marking?

http://preceptcamden.com/key-word-symbols/

I need my system to be small/tight, and to use as many senses and parts of body and brain as possible. Bite off a small chunk and review, review, review, meditate, meditate, meditate, draw, act out, sing, review, review, review, apply, apply, apply, review, review...

The Fighter Verses do have topics associated with each one. Verses are not grouped by topic, but you could change that easily.

I have to add the many senses and parts of the body and brain stuff.

They do have a commentary written about each verse (to the current verse for their church), they have a song for each verse (to the current verse for their church) ... I don't always like the music ... I think it is not really well done... but it does help learn the verses. They have audio for each verse. They even have a "game" in which they leave out the main words of the verse, and you try to say it tapping the phone to add the word. This has helped me to know if I actually know the verse.

The three types of verses they have are: Verses about the Gospel / Salvation, Verses that show God's greatness, and Verses that help fight the fight of faith (verses on anger, or fear etc.

I cannot tell you how much these verses have helped me nor can I recommend them highly enough. (of course any Bible memory is very very helpful and important... maybe I just needed a system so I did not have to pick what to learn each time. .) My mind is more focused on God since really going after these in earnest. YMMV

• 2 months later...

Our family has found memorizing large chunks (ala Ruth Beechick) very valuable, too. We still memorize isolated verses/passages, but there's something very powerful about memorizing entire chapters.

Hunter, you refer to 100 Bible Verses--is that the book 100 Bible Verses: Everyone Should Know By Heart by Robert Morgan?