Menu

Do you leave your keys in your car?

I don't leave my keys in my car, but I never lock it when I'm home. We only lock our doors at night, but we live in a rural area up on the side of a mountain.

Ditto on everything minus the rural side of the mountain, instead we're on the outskirts of a midwestern Big 10 university town.

Polly,

Ha! Seriously? In Memphis? Even though our car isn't the grandest (especially with the new, lovely, roofing nail in the tire), right now it does get me where I need to go and I'd like to keep it that way.

Now, when we lived in rural MS, yes. I didn't even lock the house door and my neighbors would even come and borrow an egg while I was out. No big deal.

HAH! I live in the DFW area. I don't leave my keys in the car. Nor do we leave our car unlocked, since DH has a nice radio. However, I know people who will leave their car unlocked if nothing's in it - when said car is basically a piece of carp, or the locking mechanism doesn't work right. ;)

I even lock the door when I'm home alone with baby. I just unlock it when I know DH is on his way home, since he gets annoyed when he has to unlock the door to his own house.

My husband always refused to lock all the house doors, as that would require him to remember where he put his keys when he got out of his vehicle, or actually pull them out of his pocket. His truck does this thing, where if you turn it off right (or wrong, maybe?) you can remove the key, but you can start the vehicle again without putting the key in. He often did that. Also, there is a shelf in his dash next to the ignition, and he keeps a key there. Then if he doesn't know where he put his keys, he doesn't have to be late for work. :lol:

Me? I keep the doors locked to the house, often when we are inside, too. The vehicle is always locked, whether we are in or out. I've forgotten to lock it a time or two here at home, and have found children on the roof, as they have opened a door to climb up. :glare:

I live in Detroit. I never fail to club my car, much less not lock it or leave my keys in it. The upside is that it's the only place I've lived where I've been thrilled when my car is the crappiest one on the block, since it just means it's that much less likely it will get stolen/broken into.