Menu

CW Aesop ? What are are your favorite models?

peacefully

I'm gearing up to implement CW Aesop in the fall. I will be using some of the models that are included in the Student Workbook, but I am also interested in exploring other options too. What have been your favorite models? Did you try to align your models with some other subject area (i.e., Norse myths while studying Vikings)? Any other pointers? Thanks!!

Well ........ I wouldn't say they were our favourite models but they were certainly the models my dd learned the most from ....... the Bible. Wow! Try to turn King James English into modern English while still retaining the "flavour" of the original writing. She worked hard on them, did well and her writing improved immensely! :001_smile:

I'm listening in because my children are not ready for Aesop this year (beginning second grade), but I love the look and scope of the program from top to bottom. I actually am looking to transition to the rigorous work of Aesop about the middle to last third of second grade. Like yllek I would love to be able to use most of my own models instead of relying completely on the workbooks. I expect I would need a workbook to look at while planning, yes?

I have found that Aesop fables do lend themselves well to narration. I've been using a more modern sounding text and we are beginning to work with the Milo Winter versions for more complex language and more dialogue.

As far as using some of the Norse legends for copywork, I'm planning on that whether it is Aesop, or WWE or Frankenwriter. I have Edith Hamilton's Mythology and I've got a good smattering of translations from the Edda, so I'll probably pick and sift through that.

I'm gearing up to implement CW Aesop in the fall. I will be using some of the models that are included in the Student Workbook, but I am also interested in exploring other options too. What have been your favorite models? Did you try to align your models with some other subject area (i.e., Norse myths while studying Vikings)? Any other pointers? Thanks!!

We used many of the models recommended in the core. I substituted some extra fables and fairy tales for some of the Bible stories. We also did a few Greek myths (because my DD was interest in doing this). You can pick models from just about anywhere. My only other pointer if you're choosing your own models is to make sure that they are not too long otherwise the writing assignment may end up overwhelming (especially if you DC loves to add detail).

I'm listening in because my children are not ready for Aesop this year (beginning second grade), but I love the look and scope of the program from top to bottom. I actually am looking to transition to the rigorous work of Aesop about the middle to last third of second grade. Like yllek I would love to be able to use most of my own models instead of relying completely on the workbooks. I expect I would need a workbook to look at while planning, yes?

No, the only essential piece to the program is the core. I schedule our lessons straight from there and don't use the IG or the workbook. The IG and workbook are designed to make the program open and go for those who want everything planned out for them.

HTH