Menu

AAS and Spalding or WRTR

mskelly

I'm very new here and just learned about AAS through a spelling search.

As a former teacher, I am trained in Spalding Phonics and have taught my kiddos the 72 phonograms, but have not gone any further with the program. I suppose I could use it, but I'd definitely need to refresh my own memory before I started teaching the kids. Plus, I like the idea of opening the book and being ready to go for homeschooling.

I looked at the scope and sequence for level 1 and saw that the first 26 phonograms (which are taught in a different order than Spalding) are taught in one step. Is one step the same as one lesson? Does AAS teach all the sounds of each of those letters or is /a/ just /a/ like apple? Would I need to order the phonogram cards if I already have the phonograms on cards from SPalding?

Thanks for helping out a mom with a spinning head!

Kelly

Hello and welcome! I will try to answer your questions the best I can. I haven't had AAS very long yet, but used other Spalding based programs. You can rest easy about the first step. You are supposed to spend as much time as necessary on the first three steps and move on from there. Infact, you can work on the second and third step while finishing up the first step. You do teach all the sounds of each phonogram like you would any other Spalding program.

You would not need to order the phonogram cards; however, they do come in the student package for each level if I'm remembering correctly (and I think I am).:)

I think AAS is a great program and I'm sure you will get lots of great advice here on the forum. Wishing you blessings on you venture.:)

Just wanted to chime in that a Step in AAS is not equal to a lesson unless your child can handle that. Each level is meant to be worked on at the child's pace. For some older starting kids in the beginning a each step will be a days lesson, but that doesn't last for the whole program. Each level has about 24-28 steps.

Well, I haven't used Spalding, but AAS is a GREAT way to do O-G with your children in an open-and-go way! AAS teaches all of the sounds of each letter, so 'a' is /a/, /ay/, /ah/ I think the marker for the /ay/ sound might be an a with the long vowel mark on top of it though (this is just off the top of my head). So when you show your child the 'a' card they say all three sounds rhythmically, in order.