Menu

AAS test report

In2why

We took the ITBS in May and on Saturday we got his test scores, breakdowns, and sumary report. I am thrilled.

A little background. My youngest son was struggling in 1st grade. We met with his teacher midway through the year and she reported that he was behind in reading and her suggestion was that he repeat 1st grade. She also thought he might have a reading disability. We had went down that rabbit hole with our daughter almost 20 years ago and we didn't want to see our son suffer the same fate that she had at the hands of traditional school and their special education programs so we decided to bring him home where I could work with him one on one.

I took him back to the basics with beginning phonics, and found All about spelling at the beginning of his 2nd grade year. He doesn't love it, or get excited about it when it is time to use it, but he really grasps the phonic rules of spelling and more importantly it translates to his reading. I have seen tremendous growth in his reading abilities since we began, and it worked so well that I dropped OPGTR and Phonic Pathways and relied on it to teach phonics and then used readers where we could read together and I could point out the phonic rule if he got stuck.

But the point of my post. :D

His ITBS reports that his reading total score was average, and that he did as well or better than 60% of 2nd graders who took the test. But his total Reading profile was 81%. The difference was his scores in spelling and word analysis. In spelling his score was in the 93 percentile, and for word analysis he scored in the 98 percentile. Both of those I credit All about spelling. Spelling was just spelling, but word analysis is letter-sound associations and word structure. AAS teaches both and I couldn't be more thrilled for him! (I am also rather pleased with myself and wish that I didn't need test scores to validate my decision. But I am feeling on top of the world right now)