Menu

Help! How to get sap out of hair?

My 3yo dd was playing around some Pine and Spruce trees and got a bit of sticky sap in her hair, right near her scalp on the top of her head. She has very fine hair that is pretty long so I don't want to cut it out because then it will look like a bald spot.

Any suggestions on how to get the sticky sap out without cutting her hair? It's been in there for a day and has dried. I washed her hair with California Baby shampoo last night, but it didn't come out.

I would try coconut oil or baby oil. My son got some nasty generic silly putty in his hair a few weeks ago and nothing worked except for coconut oil. The other oils were too runny to really work into the scalp. It took a few washes to get it out and then a lot more washing to get the oil out. My son has very thick hair and it is long for a boy- about shoulder length- so it was a mess! Hopefully, your DD's hair will be easier to work with.

Butter! It is how you get it off of your hands too. Then use Dawn to wash it off. We had 55 acres in western OR growing up and climbed fir trees all the time. LOTS of sap! My mom always used butter on our hair and hands.