Menu

Anyone like MFW but not like ECC?

Abbeygurl4

I really like the looks of MFW and the fact that they use ILL and PLL. I tried ECC a few years ago and it was not a great fit and I ended up selling it. It seems like ECC is their biggest seller and I'm wondering if anyone has NOT liked ECC but has used and enjoyed CtC or RtoR or EX-1850?

Guest momk2000

Yes, we did Adventures a couple of years ago, then tried ECC. I dropped it for something else - did not like it at all. We were going to do CTG, but decided to do SOTW 1 and toss in our own supplemental lit.

Yes, we did Adventures a couple of years ago, then tried ECC. I dropped it for something else - did not like it at all. We were going to do CTG, but decided to do SOTW 1 and toss in our own supplemental lit.

That my experience exactly. I loved Adventures - right up to week 3 of the states. It was torture for me - same thing every week. ECC was much of the same for me. I LOVE MFW, but ECC wasn't a good fit for us. We did SOTW then MOH 2 and now we're moving to Veritas.

We really enjoyed Adventures as well. It was our first year of homeschooling, and I bought everything that was recommended. I figured it was just easier to do that and once I felt I knew what was going on, I could change things up a little.

Well, we loved it and eagerly order ECC. After just a couple of weeks, we were really struggling and dumped it completely after a couple of months. It made me never even consider doing the other units after EEC, so I really can't speak to those.

Yes! Bought and sold ECC, used Modern and loved it!

We like studying geography in the context of history, not by region. Just a preference, I guess.

When I study Germany, I don't like reading about J.S. Bach, Hitler, and Otto Von Bismarck concurrently. :) These are not examples from ECC, just an example.

We tried ECC this year and after 12 weeks dropped it and sold it. My problem was due to the fact that I did not like every day, every subject scheduled for me. But that is not what muddied the water. It was the fact that my children were not enjoying it. I could almost feel the nonverbal complaints even though they tolerated it and did not say a word. I think that if my kids had loved it, I would have been able to mull past the everything scheduled for me, thing. I think if I had to do it all over again, I would have just started with Adventures or gone straight to CtG. Live and learn!:tongue_smilie:

Because of our experience I don't think we are going to try MFW at all again. It was that bad a fit for us, unfortunately. That said, I think they are a great company and have obviously put a great deal of work and thought into their product.

Edited by MyLittleBears

Oh, no! Say it ain't so! We're supposed to start ECC this summer. I'm hoping this is finally the program everyone is compatible with. :tongue_smilie: We did start PLL and ILL and those are awesome. We're definitely OK with those.

Is it the worksheets or repetitiveness that people don't like about ECC?

I also thought (for a brief moment) that we could skip ECC and just start the 4 year cycle. My kids are really into biomes, ecosystems, zoology, etc, so I thought they would enjoy ECC.

FWIW, I'm a huge tweaker. If I don't like something, I change it.

Any specific dislikes? Wanna convince me to skip it and start Creation to the Greeks? :D Also, I thought they had updated ECC recently...?? :confused:

Edited to say: I really like hearing honest opinions and experiences with a curriculum. I don't like it when everyone just praises a curriculum and there's no real-world complaints/suggestions. No curriculum works for everybody.

Edited by starrbuck12

I hesitated to post my experience because, well, it was not a good one. But, I have a friend who totally loves MFW and it was her enthusiaum that motivated me to try it. I remember being at her house and her 3rd grader excitetly tell my ds all about the geography game in ECC. That was enough for me. I then was convinced that my children would love it just as much as they did. I then called MFW and they of coarse, had excellent reasons for not skipping that year. I was all set to start the 4yr history cycle and I think that was one of the reasons the geography year was not such a hit for us. Perhaps my children sensed my lack of enthusiaum. If your children like ecosystems and biomes, I would not hesitate in trying it. You may have a different experience. Remember, there are tons and tons of people who have used it sucessfully and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest riverkate

We were eager to start ECC too. We were coming from in depth CM studies with rich literature. Sadly, we quickly learned the books were very dry. It didn't take long until we ditched ECC. However, I still love the idea of MFW and several years later am considering 1850-Modern Times. I'm having trouble finding anything about this guide. Any users?