Menu

Is ETC a stand alone program?

Does anyone use Explode the Code all by itself? If so, how do you do it? I know there are the books, code cards, an alphabet chart w/ stuffed things. Do I need all those things? I'm trying to find find a phonics/reading program to use with my dd (she will turn 5 this fall). I would really appreciate any thoughts/experiences you can offer. Thanks so much...:001_smile:

I am pretty much using ETC as my ds6's phonics program. We practice the blends together, read the words, do the activities, and sometimes I choose some of the words from a unit to be his spelling words which he can then practice daily with a test at the end of the week. We also use readers. I think that ETC can be used as a stand alone program so long as you make sure that each sound group is learned thoroughly before moving on.

Works for us.

Apparently a lot of people here think it is not a stand alone program, but I don't see why not. Obviously, it emphasizes practice instead of overtly teaching the rules, but that's in there too.

This is my thought, too. I just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there. I want to keep it simple and fun. No over teaching etc.