Menu

Name of writing program for boys

April in WA

April,

You can see a full listing of the No Girls Allowed programs at http://www.canadianhomeeducation.com

This link should take you directly to it:

http://www.canadianhomeeducation.com/items.asp?CartId={661449EC-54B0-4B89-EVERESTB7D5-863F025F3DA1}&Bc=NGA&Cc=LANWRITING

I purchased the program about heroes, but we haven't used it yet (like so many other writing programs on my shelf...LOL). She does have quite a few interesting titles...I just need to implement the one I purchased.

Good luck!

Tamy Davis

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

and never used them.

There is no website, you have to email her directly. I had to send a money order, she did not have a website for ordering, at least a couple years ago.

While they look like fun, and would be great for a writing co-op, they were way too much preparation and work for me to use with my one son at home. The units I had involved a lot of crafty type stuff, assembling a notebook, making various items to go in it, too much beyond writing.

Michelle T

The units I had involved a lot of crafty type stuff, assembling a notebook, making various items to go in it, too much beyond writing.

Michelle T

I agree, Michelle. The unit we bought requires cutting and using paper sacks and other crafty things (I'm not that crafty), so it's sitting here unused. I was hoping for something that my son could work on and have fun with on his own. I might still try to adapt it for independent use.

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

It is for grades 4-6, with a fun "cub reporter" theme throughout, written directly to the student, and requires little from the parent. While not specifically written just for boys, my 2 writing "phobic" boys actually enjoyed doing this one! My average writer did it in 5th grade, and my struggling/delayed writer did it in 7th grade.

The struggling writer is using Jump In (from Apologia publishing) this year (8th grade). It is for gr. 5-8, and, while not specifically for boys, it, too, is gentle, requires little from the parent, and is written to the student. It is more "complete" than Wordsmith Apprentice -- but it is also from a distinctly Christian author, as from time to time Jesus, God or church are mentioned in writing examples or as suggested writing topics (amongst a list of non-religious topics); also a few "hot button" issues (such as abortion) are mentioned occasionally in a writing example or as a suggested writing topic, so you may want to preview for age or belief appropriateness for your family. There are quite a few sample pages at http://www.christianbook.com (just enter "Jump In" in the search box).

BEST of luck finding what connects for your boy writers! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori,

Thank you for your reveiw of Wordsmith Apprentice. I have two boys, currently grades 6 and 4. I can't say either are reluctant writers, just not super-excited ones. I have been using IEW theme-based writing programs last year and so far this year. I really like them and am convinced they will produce great writers if used. While I am not a bad writer, I am not terribly comfortable teaching and grading my children's writing. IEW really helps me with that. I thought my oldest would really appreciate having a checklist to know exactly what I expect from him on each assignment. Instead he feels stifled by all the requirements. When I give him an assignment from Intermediate Language Lessons to write a story, etc. without the IEW requirements, he usually produces a quality work. I don't know how familiar you are with IEW so all I've stated about it may not make much sense to you. If it does, do you think Wordsmith would be a good choice for him? And a good choice for me? I like consistency and don't really want to jump around writing programs a lot. Thanks for your time.

Blessings,

April in WA

Hi April,

Well, it's always hard to know what to tell what will work with someone else or not : ) -- but, here goes...

Yes I am familiar with IEW. We've used the keyword outline method (based on seeing Andrew Pudewa give some 1-hour seminars on the method at the local homeschool convention, and seeing one of his videotape series), which has been a great help to our boys in learning how to organize and how to "back up" their writing. Have not done any of the IEW programs formally, though. Sounds like your 6th gr. is beyond needing the checklists, esp. if he's producing quality work without it.

Wordsmith Apprentice might be a fun change of pace, or be a fun supplement to your IEW writing. WA is easy to pick up and put down as you like, and while the exercises would be too simple for your 6th gr., he might enjoy the newspaper theme of some of the assignments. WA is inexpensive, too.

I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- and it sounds like you're getting good results with IEW. But sometimes it *is* nice to use another program as a supplement or a change of pace, and I do think WA (and possibly the sequel, Wordsmith, which, while not as "fun" themed as WA, is great for a student to do independently) could possibly provide that for your boys. Maybe try it out every so often when you have a week where you don't want to have to do too much with writing???

Warmest regards, Lori D.