Menu

WWYD? Doctor

I love my doctor. She is a family practice and so sees me, my dh and all three of my dc. The problem? Her office staff is awful. I truly have seen no evidence that they know how to read. 2 of my kids files were "lost" for 5 months because they kept filing them all under my oldest child. We always have to wait when we check in so the 3 receptionists can finishing browsing the EW magazine that seems to be much more important than the patients waiting in line. I've looked a long time for a doctor that was homeschool friendly in my area. So what do I do? Change doctors? The office manager is just as bad as her staff, so complaining to her isn't really an option. Anything else I can do to get just basic expectations met at a medical office? I mean, I don't think that my kids medical records being filed correctly is expecting them to go above and beyond..is it?

We, unfortunately, went through the same situation except it was with our much loved pediatrician. Long story short, I decided that one wonderful doctor cannot save a practice, so we found another ped. We love her as well, but not like we loved our former ped. Her office staff is amazing though.

Best of luck. These kind of things are very difficult. :grouphug:

I'd talk to the dr. and if nothing changes, find a new dr. I FINALLY found a gynecologist that I LOVED and recently had to find a new one because her office staff was so terrible. I don't like this dr. as much, but the office staff is AMAZING and has made a huge difference in the whole experience.

Thank you for your replies. I think I'll talk to my doctor the next time I'm in and let her know that while I appreciate her as our doctor, the poor quality of her office staff is making me reconsider using her practice. Hopefully that will inspire some changes.

Is she self employed? If so, complain to her. If she is "owned" by a corporation or a hospital, complain to the personnel department. Many corporations and hospitals supply the physician with staff - IOW, the physician may not have any control over who is working in her office.

As a solo self-employed physician, my dh monitors his office staff and has had to take issue with some behavior. We now have very long term employees who genuinely care for his patients. A physician, or any business owner for that matter, should make sure that the "first impressions" of his/her office are positive.